FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by narfi »

With the Awlgrip, both the red and the blue I sprayed, You want to make sure you prime very well first, then spray more coats of color than you think you would need to. The pigment is somewhat translucent and looks amazing once done, but doesn't cover quickly. Do the several coats though and you have a very deep beautiful surface that will do your 4+ years proud :)

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

narfi wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 pm With the Awlgrip, both the red and the blue I sprayed, You want to make sure you prime very well first, then spray more coats of color than you think you would need to. The pigment is somewhat translucent and looks amazing once done, but doesn't cover quickly. Do the several coats though and you have a very deep beautiful surface that will do your 4+ years proud :)
Thanks Narfi, I'm planning on letting the pros handle the final paint. With no experience or setup to spray I'd spend more on materials than just paying someone to do it, and almost certainly not get as good of a result. Every other part of the process you can fix all mistakes with enough sanding until it's perfect. Final paint has to be perfect the first time. I'll be handing the boat over primed but I imagine they will add their own sprayed primer on top.

Worst case I have a friend who works on super high end racing yachts who can spray it, but I'd have to do all the final prep and help. I've been there when he sprayed a friends boat and got a great result. I'd honestly rather hand it off at 95% and let it be a shops problem to fix any final defects clean and paint, just for the sake of time.

I need to reach out to places soon to get someone lined up...

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I started drilling my motorwell drains, and after drilling the holes I re-outlined the swim platform and realized the drain interfered with it and needed to be shifted towards the center.
Imgur Album

I also noticed a larger problem with the transom. When I drilled the pilot holes from inside it pushed off a chip of fairing compound and paint on the outside. As I kept working on the holes pieces kept chipping off far too easily. I got a chisel under the stuff that was chipping off and was able to take it off in sheets. Not good! I thought it was going to be the entire transom but as I kept working with the chisel I I got to a place where I could no longer separate the layers in all directions. Still a large area of the transom though.
Imgur Album

Was pretty concerned about the whole hull at this point. When looking closely it's clearly a layer that was not sanded which had another layer added on top. Both shiny surfaces.
Imgur Album

I thought maybe I had added a layer wrongly thinking I was in a no sand recoat window, but the more I think about it the more I don't think I would have done that with fairing compound. No reason to add more without sanding. More likely it's an area I just missed sanding. The center of the transom was lower than the edges because of the multiple layers of glass, so maybe it got missed just because it was below the rest?

Anyway, there's been nowhere else on the inside or outside of the hull that the fairing compound has come off easily when drilling, and at all edges of the area I chipped off it's impossible to get a chisel between the layers. I'm cautiously optimistic this is the only area with the problem. If it's not, then the problem will be purely cosmetic, as this is entirely outside any structural layers. I'll sand and refair this area and hope there's no where else hidden.

Here you can see the motorwell drains from the inside after I moved them towards the center to clear the swim platform, I'll fill the extra hole with the plug from one of the other holes.
Imgur Album

I also fit the duckbill scuppers in the transom and cut some hose to connect them. They needed to be either completely above or below the bottom of the clamping board. Above would have left them above waterline but almost completely horizontal where I didn't think they would drain well. I placed them below which means 2 extra holes below the waterline, but a pretty steep angle on the hose which I think will allow them to drain well and they take up less of the storage space. I also think the duckbills will work well just submerged to keep water from coming up the drains. We'll see how it works out.
Imgur Album

Also installed the hose port for the washdown hose.
Imgur Album

In that pic you could see me centering the speaker template over the drain, so I cut the 4 speaker holes with a beast of a holesaw.
Imgur Album

And last I made a template for the motor control conduit and steering hoses, and fit those. Checked the length of the steering hoses at the same time and looks good.
Imgur Album

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Looking good !

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 am
I thought maybe I had added a layer wrongly thinking I was in a no sand recoat window, but the more I think about it the more I don't think I would have done that with fairing compound. No reason to add more without sanding. More likely it's an area I just missed sanding. The center of the transom was lower than the edges because of the multiple layers of glass, so maybe it got missed just because it was below the rest?

Anyway, there's been nowhere else on the inside or outside of the hull that the fairing compound has come off easily when drilling, and at all edges of the area I chipped off it's impossible to get a chisel between the layers. I'm cautiously optimistic this is the only area with the problem. If it's not, then the problem will be purely cosmetic, as this is entirely outside any structural layers. I'll sand and refair this area and hope there's no where else hidden.

In the words of Captain Ron, "If anything is going to happen it's going to happen out there."

I know the feeling exactly. The wondering of whether or not your project will fall apart and end in catastrophe, but I think your right.

Absolute worst case in this scenario is all the finish falls off, but you'll be able to fix that.

Good luck, She's looking great as always. Nice layout with the speakers and other bells and whistles!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm
Absolute worst case in this scenario is all the finish falls off, but you'll be able to fix that.

Good luck, She's looking great as always. Nice layout with the speakers and other bells and whistles!
Thanks Dan, as long as the front doesn't fall off!

Amazing video for anyone that doesn't get the reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM.

Last night I was able to bottom paint over my washdown thru-hull, it blended in to the hull pretty well.
Imgur Album

I also glued on 2 mounting pads for fire extinguisher brackets.
Imgur Album

The brackets are Starboard holders from boat outfitters. Little pricy but I'm so sick of those cheap plastic ones that come with marine extinguishers breaking. Following the advice I saw on another forum I was able to cut about 1/2" off the depth of the brackets and screw them back together. This allows them to be completely under the side deck even mounted on the mounting pad. Should hold nice and solid.
Imgur Album

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

When you are getting ready to install speakers and fire extinguishers you are in the home stretch.

Looking good, can’t wait to see her all rigged up.

Build on!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Browndog wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:01 am When you are getting ready to install speakers and fire extinguishers you are in the home stretch.

Looking good, can’t wait to see her all rigged up.

Build on!
Once hardware is going on without being taken off again I'll be almost done! But the number of times I have to move things from when I first place them I knew I needed to place everything before final paint or I would make a mess of the final product. Can still sand away any mistake at this point. Still really want to get in the water this year, but we'll see.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I decided to angle my rear decks for drainage after cutting the motorwell sides, so I've had a gap to deal with there for a long time. Glued in some little filler pieces.
Imgur Album

Also needed to glass the top of the bow deck, did it before installing to make less of a mess on the boat.
Imgur Album

Used the extra epoxy to coat all the holes I've recently made in the boat.
Imgur Album

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Back to the wiring briefly, I don't have heat shrink big enough for the 4 AWG wires so I had printed normal labels and wrapped them around and back to itself as a tag. Didn't stick well and was getting damaged. I got some clear heat shrink big enough, stuck a normal label along the wire, and heat shrank over it. This worked well, good option for wires too big or if you don't have heat shrink labels at all.
Imgur Album

Now I started sealing in a whole bunch of things. A tube to get wires up to the anchor locker without letting water down into the storage below.
Imgur Album

Did the 2 battery holders, the rubber pads for the fuel tank, and sealed the tops of the chase tubes.
Imgur Album

Installed the tru design valve on the thru hull with load bearing collar.
Imgur Album

Bilge pumps.
Imgur Album

Sealed the other ends of the chase tubes and installed the battery cable posts.
Imgur Album

The washdown pump and connection to ball valve. Also the fuel filter.
Imgur Album

And the drain plug.
Imgur Album

I took way too long doing this, many hours, since I was trying to be very neat about the sealant in places you will hardly ever see. Probably a complete waste of time I was thinking as I was tidying up sealant between the chase tubes with a q-tip. But it would have bugged me so glad it all looks good. And nice to finally install some stuff that's not coming back out anytime soon!