C-17 Our first Build !

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C-17 Our first Build !

Post by Salty F17 »

David516 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm Thank you Reid! That clears things up, However, the more I think about it when I put the upper Sides on I am going to have to tape the corner and there is no fiberglass sheet to put over the tape, So then once that tape is wet out I know there will be an overlap in resin. That’s going to have to be fared Which has me a tiny bit confused because I can smooth out where the tape is but do I have to go the length of the boat with the faring to make everything exactly even or can I taper it down?
I would assume that your going to coat the wood with epoxy also for protection or fiberglass you will need to fair it to some degree i would think
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

David516 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm Thank you Reid! That clears things up, However, the more I think about it when I put the upper Sides on I am going to have to tape the corner and there is no fiberglass sheet to put over the tape, So then once that tape is wet out I know there will be an overlap in resin. That’s going to have to be fared Which has me a tiny bit confused because I can smooth out where the tape is but do I have to go the length of the boat with the faring to make everything exactly even or can I taper it down?
You can taper it down. Another trick is to let the fiberglass tape cure and then use a sander and taper the edges of the fiberglass tape. This will give you less of a lip when starting to fair.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It is recommended to coat the fairing compound with a sealing coat of epoxy before going to paint, but the System3 Yacht Primer sold here is an epoxy, so if you use it you don't have to apply separate coats of neat epoxy.
Hank

David516
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by David516 »

OK thanks everybody for the advice! Much appreciated !!! now it’s back to work!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

David516 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:42 pm OK thanks everybody for the advice! Much appreciated !!! now it’s back to work!
Just checking on you. How is progress?