Mike's FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Mike's FS14 LS

Post by seaslug »

I just finished my FS14 Low sheer and posted over 100 pics in the gallery under album title Mike's FS14 LS. I still need to carpet the trailer bunks, than get a couple of guys to help me carry it from the front yard. I didn't add any comments, just posted shots from beginning to end sort of in order. Mike

cape man

Re: Mike's FS14 LS

Post by cape man »

Absolutely gorgeous Mike!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mike, It is hard to say, but I think your FS14 LS is actually a more beautiful boat than your FS18. Really incredible results!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Congratulations and here are some pics:

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Very, Very nice :!:
One question, how did you drain the hatch gutters? I see how on the stern, I think, but what about the bow?

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hey Fuzz, all three hatches have 3/4" PVC 90 elbows epoxied into the bottom of the hatch frames with PVC pipes draining into the cockpit. You can see the smaller holes in the front and back bulkheads, the larger holes aft are the rod tubes. I'm not concerned with the little bit of water that makes it into the hatch gutters and into the cockpit. I can pull the plug while running if it's an issue and my tootsies are getting wet, or if I'm too shallow and can't run I can get myself out of the boat, and due to Jacques wonderful design, it will drain right out the transom. Deep gutters, a tight fit on hatch lids, good seals, and adequate sized drains. Works for me, and I have 3 large storage areas in the boat that are totally dry at all times. If I decide on taking one of these boats on a cruise to Bermuda I'll install a bilge pump, or 3. Now if I can only sell it for about 250 grand I can quit work and just play around building boats. Mike

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Hope you find a buyer :!: You sure build a nice boat. Be nice to watch you build more of them.
Your hatches look great. What are you using for seal rubber and where do you get it?

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

Really pretty work, Mike---extraordinary craftsmanship. Are you going to power it or just sell the bare boat? After Ken posted the numbers w/ the 15hp, Im curious what that thing would do w/ a 25hp it was rated for ( guessing one might be holding on for dear life :D )

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I bought the rubber seal material at Lowes, $7.95 for 10'. The brand is MD in a purple package that says 'Auto &Marine Rubber Weatherseal' . It's a peel and stick, 5/16" thick and 19/32" wide, and ribbed. I used another seal from the same company on the other boat and after 6 months shows no signs of going anywhere, in fact it would take some solvent and some effort to remove the glue. Cheap and effective. ....As far as power, I'm already concerned that I won't be able to recover my investment even though I know it's a better boat than any 14 foot factory boat available. But if I do power it, I will look for a 20 hp, because I think a 25 would be too much, and also add weight. Mike