Xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Xf20

Post by stickystuff »

The XF I built only had a 60HP yammie four stroke. The jack plate had an 8 or 10' jack plate. Don't remember which. Keep trying to forget this boat. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Stickystuff, you may be trying to forget but looks like many others still remember the boat well!! Happy New Year!!! Jeff

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

Stickystuff,
Why are you trying to forget it. It was such a great build!

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

The black boat in particular was the boat that made me decide on an xf 20. I saw it on some Florida sportsman forum and that's how I found this site. Regardless of the problems it presented during the build and afterward, it came out beautifully. It probably helped sell a lot of xf20 plans over the years....or at least 1 more set. :D

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Regarding the black boat, it was indeed one of the models I used when building my boat. I relied heavily on Richard's build as well, as he was a little more detailed on the posts :D
But with the black boat, I think even Ken would agree that it might have a little too much "stuff" on it. It turned out gorgeous and a true show-piece, but it is far from the minimalist design of the base XF20. If I remember correctly, Ken told me that the hydraulic platform (and all its accessories) were a lot of trouble.
All hull and sole wood on my boat is Meranti. I didn't have any trouble with bending it, as the curves on this boat are long and gradual.
For the stringers, I glued together 2 pieces of 3/8" Meranti...and yes, I have 4 stringers. I believe you mentioned that you have some experience with the old billy-boats, which only have 2 stringers. Perhaps from a structural standpoint, this is acceptable, but even with 4 stringers I can notice some wavy-ness in the hull bottom when navigating choppy waters.
For the transom, I used a single piece of southern yellow pine (2x12). Other matrials might be better, but I recall having a lengthy discussion about this at the time. It is certainly well-encapsulated with glass/epoxy. The "ouside" part of the transom is 1/2" Meranti (from the bottom to the top) and the SYP 2x12 is the clamping board.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

MajorGator, nice to hear from you!! Hope you and the family had nice holidays!! Jeff

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Thanks Jeff! We had a great Christmas and I hope the same for you and your family.
I've not been very active on the forum lately, mainly because I just don't have the time :help: Business is keeping me fully occupied plus some, but its been good to take some time off and relax. The first few months of the new year should offer some calm, but that only means that the following months will be hectic.

Happy new years to everyone!
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Freaknreakn wrote:Richard,
Im going to ply three 1/2"meranti t/g for the transom. I'm going to have some left over 1/2" and was thinking about using it for the extra stringers. Do I still need to ply two 1/2" ers t/g? Meranti claims to be stronger than okoume. :?:
Yes, you still need to laminate two layers together to make your stringers.
The reason for this is to allow you to stagger the joints of the plywood strips that make up the stringers.
If you have scrap 1/2" plywood, by all means use it for the outside stringers.
You still must use two layers though...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, thickness matters: don't reduce the thickness of transom. Same for the stringers, you anyway need 2 layers o offset the seams. You can use 2 layers of 1/2" for the stringers if you have leftovers from the transom.

Sorry for the previous confusion about the HP installed on the black boat. There have been so many customized XF20 included another black one with reduced freeboard but a very large engine.
The XF20 started as a prototype for Ken. At that time it was a very simple, very light shell without a sole. It ran well with a 25 but was not made for high speeds or choppy waters. Then somebody added a sole, then a gunwale, a tower, changed the framing and stringers. They are all a little but different but as Richard wrote, that's why you build your own unique boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

What a great New Years Day! Got to work on the boat! Btw, the family named it "Gator Bait". Yes, it will be some combination of orange, blue, and white.
I've glued 2 of the 4 stringers t/g. Holy cow, what a mess! I hope I get better and neater :D. If anyone has suggestions, let me have 'em.
This is a dumb question, but I gotta ask. Glue the three 1/2" meranti for the transom before or after stitching to hull/stringers/sides?
Attachments
IMG_1805.JPG