Xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Xf20

Post by jacquesmm »

I glue them before but it will be heavy and you have to be ready to support the transom on the jig. A 2by4 with a couple clamps will do the job.

I love the spectator chairs! Are you going to have people watching while you build?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Freaknreakn wrote:
This is a dumb question, but I gotta ask. Glue the three 1/2" meranti for the transom before or after stitching to hull/stringers/sides?
I did it afterwards and after the after the boat was flipped. Didn't hurt anything in my case.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's a matter of personal preference: either the gluing of the layers is easily done flat on the floor but you must lift that heavy transom and support it or you work with a single layer transom and adding layers later requires a little more work. Each method is valid, do what you feel comfortable with.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Just a note. The extra stringers do not need to be doubled. It just gives more support for trailering over the bunke to keep it fromdagging. Also if you add T Top or towers you need to have :doh: :doh: :doh: a support area for adding backing to mount towers etc to.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

stickystuff wrote:Just a note. The extra stringers do not need to be doubled. It just gives more support for trailering over the bunke to keep it fromdagging. Also if you add T Top or towers you need to have :doh: :doh: :doh: a support area for adding backing to mount towers etc to.
Looking at your threads made me question "too ply, or not too ply" :doh:
Figuring more is better 8O, I doubled up.

Freaknreakn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Freaknreakn »

jacquesmm wrote:I glue them before but it will be heavy and you have to be ready to support the transom on the jig. A 2by4 with a couple clamps will do the job.

I love the spectator chairs! Are you going to have people watching while you build?
Sooooo, I'm thinking clamping/epoxy these t/g will be easier out of the hull than in it (but what do I know, I've never done this before.....HA!)
Jacques, those chairs provide front row seating to the "best comedy act" south of FL/GA line, according to my beloved wife. And the labradoodle is to prissy to sit on the sawdust laden floor :cry:
Attachments
IMG_1811.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hey, that is a great looking antique truck in the background, what Year model is that truck!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Looks like a 70s bronco...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jayson, that is what I thought at first glance but now I think it is a Chevy!!! Jeff

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

The early Blazers, the entire roof came off, like the Bronco.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE