HMD19 Trailer Help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Trailer Help

Post by blueflood »

Hi guys,

I am totally clueless on boat trailers and need some help. For my boat HMD19 which has a 10" skeg running a fair distance on her centrerline, estimated weight to be in the 2,400 lbs range, would a standard 2 wheel trailer work. And would a "V" frame be better for this ? All the ones on the market are fuzzy on the requirements to me. The boat will be moored during the boating season and only trailered during winter lay-up so in effect it would be used for transport only. Any ideas ? :help: :doh:

Much appreciated, Marc

topwater

Re: HMD19 Trailer Help

Post by topwater »

Marc a double axle trailer will be fine , try to figure out what the boat will weigh and order the appropriate trailer.
As far as the skeg gose , your boat is probably wider than the distance between the trailer fenders so your bunks
will have to be high enough to clear them . should give you plenty of room for the skeg. Don't forget to tell them
what the deadrise is for the bottom of the boat , they will cut the tops of the bunks to that angle .
Hope this helps John
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice education Topwater on trailers!! Thanks for that response!! Jeff

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi John, thanks for this. Yes, I am looking at Excalibur Trailers http://www.excalibur-trailers.com/download.html (boat trailer info 2500 lbs) and I explained all that to the rep via a long email with photos - deadrise angle, stubby skeg, flared hull sides, marine ply / composite, weight of 2,500 max and looks like a single axle with a shallow V frame in their brochure but the tech support from them is really pathetic sadly, like he had no time to answer my questions :help: :doh: Shoreland'r link for customer support is not working. Maybe I am complicating things with it. I just need to haul the boat from the cottage to the river where it will stay permanently but I don't want to make the news either and destroy the boat on the highway 50 mile trip in process 8O :oops: Kind of limited with trailer manufacturers around here also I have to make an 12 hour return trip to pick it up.

Marc

topwater

Post by topwater »

I hear what you are saying, when i was looking for a trailer for my boat i checked all the closest manufactures
in the midwest and they were double the cost of ordering a trailer from florida and have it shipped to me.
Go figure :?
Novi 23 finally launched !

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hey lousy service sucks :roll: Another which I am considering if I can get one around here; That one is in Manitoba :lol:
http://watertown.mb.ca/new-boat-trailer ... 313s-mb83/

peterrivers
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by peterrivers »

Gidday Marc,
Although a single axle trailer will be fine for a once per year transport, storage and launching... you are imho at the top end of the workable weight range. If you might in the future do more towing or put extra gear into it, a tandem axle trailer will be a lot nicer. They ride better and weight is not a problem.

At the top end of the single axle range you get limited by the weight rating on the tyres. Even 8 ply light truck tyres are only rated for around 1200 lbs. Two of these need to be rated for the combined weight of boat and trailer and the gear and fuel in it.

I had an18 ft aluminium boat on a single axle trailer. The current is on a tandem and is much better - operating costs are higher though.
Cheers
Pete

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Pete, thank you much...waiting for the company to reply. I am considering a tandem set-up also and waiting for quotes on my options.

Marc

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The way I think about it this. I am not rich enough to buy twice. So get the better one from the start and save the up grading cost later on. Just my 2-cents worth :wink:

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Gotcha, thank you Fuzz.