FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

Post by csotelo »

Hello everyone,

I´m building FS14_LS to Peacock bass (Tucunaré) fishing in southeast of Brazil.

I fish in water reservoirs and spots are not far apart. The weather is stable during fishing season and only quick storms are expected in the afternoons.

Here, we use aluminum jon boats (from 5 to 6m + trailer) hard to accommodate in most garages (usually from 4,2 to 5,5m). Smaller models are too light, narrow and tippy.

FS14_LS looks a good choice in my case. I´ll use a carb 15 hp outboard + electric trolling motor. Most times I fish alone or with a buddy.

I´m looking at stickystuff and seaslug builds of same boat and so many others in this forum to get inspiration! :D :D :D

IMGUR Album: http://imgur.com/a/rynkm

Some Pics:

The standard ply sheet is 2,2x1,6m, so nesting was different.

I made all stations and double transom from one sheet of 10mm and bottom and sides from 3 sheets of 6mm.

No way to find wood flour here, I used saw dust and silica to weld the hull.

Silica made it hard to sand and shape. I used coarse a wood rasp, lots of 60 grid sand paper and my fairing "log". 8O

The double transom are too heavy, I made some braces to keep it aligned with strongback.

The seams was easy, but the cloth was a nightmare. :x :x
I tried the wet on wet process, made the seams, pre coated the hull and waited to It cure a little.
When unrolling the cloth it shifted the position and got stuck on wet sticky coat. I had to peel it off and adjust it again and again… almost lost the cloth. :x

From coating to wet both sides it took me 8 hours… 8O

The fishing spots I go are full of logs or rocks, so I glassed the sides with same cloth for extra protection.

Sharpening the chines

The rub rails will are made of eucalyptus (2x 5x1 cm).
It was very hard to bend then in the bow, I had to use boiling water to soften the wood in some places.

I had to pause the build due to family health issues and will restart in a week.

I´ll finish the rub rails and start the fairing.

As fairing compound I´ll use silica and hollow glass spheres.

If you guys have any hints I´ll be glad to listen.

Thanks!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14_LS - CSotelo - Brazil

Post by Jeff »

CSotelo, great build and excellent documentation of your work!!! Please update us when possible!! Jeff

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Thanks Jeff!

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Very nice job on the glass work, even with the problems you had. I can see this is going to be a nice boat when finished. Keep up the good work. Mike

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Thanks Mike!

I´m sure I´ll copy your hatches design!

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hello everyone,

I finished the rubrails and made the bed to u-bolt in the bow.

Working on fairing now... really boring part. Every time I fill a low spot, two more are created... Worst part till now.

I´m using 2 spreaders, one 15cm and a large 40cm. The fairing putty is 1 part silica, 4 parts hollow glass spheres and resin (10gr+40gr+300gr). I do long passes with large spreader and fix some areas with smaller.

I´m using a 6mm ply fairing board and a hand sander with 60 or 80 grid. After knock off the high spots I smooth everything with a RO sander with 60 grid.

Do you guys have any hints?

Thanks!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice work CSotelo!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Sure looks good to me. I work the same way: long board for fairing, RO sander for smoothing. It's tedious and I just go 'till I can't stand it any more and then finish smoothing with the RO one last time. I tend to quit too soon :oops: You've pushed through the hardest part I think. What primer will you use? If you can get S3 it sure is easy to work with.

Dougster

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Really nice work! That will be a great boat!! 8)

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hey,

@Jeff, thanks!

@ Dougster, Thanks! I feel the same, always trying to get strengths to change the longboard sand paper one more time before go to RO. :lol:

I made one more fairing session this weekend (longboard, RO, putty again). After the next one I think just shaping the corners will be missing.

I don´t have access to S3 products here, I´ll use International's. Intergard EPA 632 primer and Perfection 709 paint. Even those are not easy to find.

I´m just wondering how primer cover scratches and pin holes... I´m looking at you SK 14 to get some ideas, It´s looking very good!

@Eric, Thanks! I saw you C21, looks great! I can´t imagine how hard must be fair a big boat like that!