Skoota 32 Demountable

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Skoota 32 Demountable

Post by fallguy1000 »

Hey All,

I'd like everyone to note that Richard Woods has designed another Power Catamaran. The Skoota 32 (demountable version) has a dedicated page and a study plan on Richard's site. The hulls are demountable and the beams will be made with something like reinforced zspar. The boat is designed to get close to or within trailerable limits on two trailers. The boat will operate with Yamaha 70hp motors on each hull. The cabin is planned at 13' long and 8' wide (approx.) and the cockpit is designed at 8' deep and 13' wide (approx.). Woods designed the 32 demountable after I asked for a power cat with a little more loading capacity than the Skoota 28. The vessel is getting designed with 100 gallons of fuel tanks, and should have a range of about 350 miles at cruise (tbd).

EDITED POST TO REFLECT PLAN CHANGE
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: Skoota 32 Demountable

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, fuel tank questions for you all.

The boat was spec'd with 50 gallons fuel per hull or 100 gallons total. But we have space for larger tanks. I did some checking and the Moeller 79 gallon tank would fit in the compartment. The incremental weight is fairly significant, and, of course, the fear is that the boat might end up with old fuel with an oversized tank, but the upside is this boats range would increase by quite a lot and it is planned for a long cruise boat with hopes for the Bahamas, Lake Superior, and the Inside Passage. The other side of caution here is I suppose getting too bold with vessel range and ending up empty somewhere on the polar ice caps!

On the same issue, the boat is demountable, and there are two fuel tanks, one in each hull. The helm station is a few feet from the fuel tank on the starboard hull and just a few more feet from the fuel tank on the port hull. Each hull will have its own power. So, is it an abomination to skip running the fuel gauges to the helm, and just putting them on each hull? For a vessel with this type of cruising capacity; it seems like it would be acceptable. Everytime the boat is demounted; the gauges will all need to be connected and disconnected. Of course, the depth finders would require it, and the motor controls, so opinions?

Woods put his hours meters on the hulls-I see little reason for putting them elsewhere, but what about the fuel tank gauges?

tia

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Personally I would put in the larger tanks for what you are planning to do. It would really suck to need to carry jugs of fuel for some leg of a trip. There is no rule you have to fill them all the way up if it is not needed. Not sure the fuel burn rate on a 70 but lets say 4 gallons an hour. How hard is it to check the fuel gauge every 6-8 hours of run time? For me keep it simple, less to worry with, less to go wrong :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks, I'll go larger as long as RW is okay with the idea. I think I will put the gauges above the tanks and reduce the amounts of gauges on the helm. Both hulls have entries and the gauges could go just inside the companionway bulkheads, or I could put them above the tank and build an access for them. Fueling is the kind of thing you look at in the morning and decide where the next fueling port must be... I actually need to know the fuel tank early because I'm fabbing the base for it. So, I will probably order the first tank when I get the frame erected because I will need one fairly soon.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am sure hoping when you get started you will do a build thread :D

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

It's a big boat. Honestly how often do you plan on trailering It?

I'm really into researching homebuilt planes, and folding wings for trailerability is always brought up.
It turns out that the reality is usually that they are only folded a few times a year in which case a few more wires to hook up isn't a big issue.

What is a couple minutes more connecting wires compared to the ease of having all Your gauges easily readable in one place?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The trailerability is a huge issue. I live in Minnesota and we are about as landlocked as possible. And I'd like to take the boat to different places.

I got a quote from a reputable marine hauler for one way MPLS to San Diego and they wanted $55K.

This boat requires 2 trailers to haul legally, but unlikely I would ever go on a trip alone and only the hulls trailer is massive. The cabin trailer will only be like 15 footer, and the cabin trailer could actually double as a camper if needed.

I can't argue that certain gauges might be nice, but the fuel gauges will literally be a couple of steps away from the helm, so that was why I asked for opinions. Keeping the helm simpler would be nice because there are obviously some things that must be done at the helm for each assembly, so space is important. But maybe this is one of those oh damn I should have put the gauges where I could see them moments, too.

I will try to do a build blog Fuzz, but I'm sort of leaning to a time lapse construction camera.

russellmn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by russellmn »

I'm looking at building the 28 in the next year or so (hopefully), would love to make the trek to you and see how the build comes along. I'm just under an hour from Duluth, right down I-35...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

russellmn, Fallguy1000 is away this week on vacation I think!! He just took delivery of his 90 gallons of System Three SilverTip Epoxy last week but I don't think his CoreCell has been delivered as of yet!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am in Inver Grove Heights.

Boat will be corecell and epoxy built on female jig with vacuum panels.

We built the jig with cnc cut panels. Next step is to tweak them a bit, then add battens and a plywood bottom. We are going to develop a cutaway section of the mold for the future removal of the hull, so the second hull will require less assembly.

The vac table will get done in the next 2 weeks. We would like to have the two hulls fabricated by next summer.