SB18 comparisons

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

SB18 comparisons

Post by Jaysen »

I'm thinking that Lil Bit's first sibling will be an SB18. Plan is a day/weekend boat (all "overnights" will be at marinas). In looking at comparisons all I really found was a ... difficult ... discussion about i550 class racing. I want the "fast boat" but will not be racing, just pleasure sailing. Things that I like on the SB18 that have me looking at it over the AD or other more "cruiser" style:
  • Lifting keel: Centerboards just don't do it for me. Call it preference but I want lifting.
  • Full plan: Much of what I've seen on the i550 is "you figure it out" which is NOT what I'm into. Not yet.
  • Fast boat: Just because I don't like motors doesn't mean I don't want to make time! SB hits the performance I'm looking for (assuming it's in the same speed class as the i550).
  • Single handed without much effort: I'm sure this is true of the i550, but no one is talking about solo sailing a i550.
  • Open transom: I just like it. Easy to get back on if your off the side.
  • Can fit two for a snug overnight: while there aren't facilities on board, it looks like there's more than enough space for 2, spare clothes, and gear.
  • Big enough for big water: Lets face it, I'm going out into the ocean with ANY boat I get. SB18/i550 seems like a good option for us (I'll be taking Lil Bit out there but not with the boss on board).
I know that the initial reactions will be "SB 18 is too much boat for you" and I'm good with that. I'm just looking at what other options (bateau and others) I could look at for ideas. I know I can get a Catalina 27 that needs some work for about $4k giving me a total cost of about $10k. But if I'm going to spend that kind of $$ on a boat it needs to be fun. I think something like the SB18 fits the latter much better than a cruiser.

Thoughts?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SB18 comparisons

Post by jacquesmm »

all that seem to fit but compared to the I550, teh SB18 will be a better boat. She will be faster except plain downwind. In strong winds, with a crew that keeps her flat, the I550 will plane faster but in all other cases, the SB18 will be faster and smoother.
The I550 is successful because it looks easy to build with it's boxy cross section but the SB18 will not slam as much and be more forgiving.

Do not over estimate the sleeping capacity, those are very small boats. IF sleeping aboard is important, look at the VG18. She perform very well too.
Lifting keel will perform better than a CB but are not as easy to handle. If you sail where you can keep the keel down most of the time, the lifting keel is a good choice. My profiled CB's do much better than the old steel plate types.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We are just too cheap to pay for a Motel 6 and would likely sleep in the cockpit unless the weather was bad. Mrs and I are under 5'10". Would we be able to lay down under the forward deck? The study plan makes it look like we would fit (one on either side of keel box). My other thought was to "tent" the cockpit with a simple tarp for wet nights.

My expectation is that I would launch here (neighbor's ramp) and once we are out on the ICW drop the keel. We would either go up the Broad River or out to the big water. Maybe up to Beaufort (ICW). The shallowest sections would be right at launch/landing. My understanding is that the keel is raised/lowered via a block on the boom which I assume is the difficulty you suggest. Is there any reason that raising/lowering couldn't be done with a block on the "cabin" ceiling using a simple ratcheting crank? I do have some concerns about the lifting keel and needing to vary draft underway, hence my block/ratcheting crank thought.

As to the VG18... the VG26 is likely to be my last boat. I have a floor plan that I really "want" but no production boat gets it (unless you consider the Aquarius 32 but then there's no full head). The VG26 is right where I think I want to be when we set off to spend the kid's inheritance.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I thought I'd add that the i550 plan is not really in contention. It's only the closest comparison I found for the sb18.

And the more I think about your response (JM) on the sleeping, that might be a few times a year. I really see the SB as a "let's go play" day sailer for me and the wife.