SeaSlug's Tips

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
bateau-webmaster

SeaSlug's Tips

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Builders,

Seaslug asked us to post a picture of one of his favorite tools. He will describe his methods for using it below:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SeaSlug's Tips

Post by Jeff »

SeaSlug, tell us about this tool: Jeff

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

I've used this cheap plastic 10" paint edge guide from Lowe's for both of my builds and haven't found a better tool for moving around resin while glassing, and to squeegee off excess resin. It's light weight, has a comfortable handle, and you can round the corners if you feel it necessary. A lot of my small fairing jobs are done with flexible bondo spreaders in widths up to about 6", but a rigid spreader works much better for working on larger areas that need to be as flat as possible, and this spreader works great for that purpose. Much nicer than working with a drywall knife, and I do a lot of drywall finishing, so I know from experience. Mike

Ninastar1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Ninastar1 »

Thanks for sharing with your experience. I will share this with my friend.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jeff, we have one in the workshop, on the bench to the left of the door when you walk in. :P

I agree with Seaslug, it is great for fairing. Juts the right stifness and size.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Jacques, I actually gave that spreader to Jeff recently when picking up materials for my SK14. Small bondo spreaders work fine for small jobs, but the fact that they are very flexible makes them a poor choice for spreading fairing material on wide flat surfaces. This cheap spreader is the best tool I've found for that purpose.

topwater

Post by topwater »

I agree and i also use a big squeegee when i am using a loose mix to fill the weave of the glass , usually the first pass
of fairing.
Novi 23 finally launched !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

seaslug wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:23 am Jacques, I actually gave that spreader to Jeff recently when picking up materials for my SK14.

We have two now: I agree with you, it is a great tool.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

I don't have any pictures, but I think everyone's seen those 24"x24" foam rubber mats with the puzzle joints, making them interlocking, and mostly used as a cushioned floor in kids play rooms etc. I cut these mats into whatever shape I need and use with sticky back sand paper. I use a lot of sticky back paper in 2 3/4" rolls, and 6" discs. One of my favorite hand sanding tools, especially for primer is to cut a 6" circle of foam and use it with the sticky back discs.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

That's a pretty awesome idea. I've always hated hand sanding, that might make it more bearable.