How to register your newly built boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Post by cvincent »

Louisiana – A file # must be assigned to your application prior to scheduling the inspection.
1 – Complete Boat Registration/Boat and Motor Title Application and mail with fee ($96.00 for 18ft boat) to Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. I called to inquire on the status of my application 3 weeks after submitting and was informed that they were 12 weeks behind with opening mail. The Agent said a file number will be assigned to my application and I will receive the letter via mail in 9-12 weeks. I received the letter after 8 weeks.
2 – Drive to Louisiana State Department of Revenue with Tax Payment Certification Form (R-1331) or mail form if you feel lucky. Present receipts for materials purchased on-line and pay taxes. LDR will stamp their seal on the document certifying that taxes are paid.
3 – Bring Tax Payment Certification to parish (county) tax collector. Present receipts for materials purchased on-line and pay taxes. Same as above, mail if you are feeling lucky. LDR will stamp their seal on the document certifying that taxes are paid.
4 – After receiving the file number I had to call the field office in my region to schedule an on-site inspection. The first thing they asked for was the file number for my registration. The field office only conducts inspections on Mondays.
5 – The agents scrutinized every receipt I had for materials and compared it to the total amount claimed on the Tax Payment Certification Form that was stamped and certified by both departments.
6 – This process took approximately 10 weeks to complete. The wildlife agent said the registration documents will be mailed to my house.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You pay taxes twice?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Affirmative. State tax plus local parish taxes.

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

cvincent wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 pm Affirmative. State tax plus local parish taxes.
In total what was your final cost as I'm from La and will be doing the same thing also?
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Hi Salty,

Total costs were: $183.00 state taxes, $164.14 parish taxes, $96.00 registration fee.

I forgot to mention that once you receive the letter with the file # you only have 30 days to schedule the inspection. If the boat is not inspected within 30 days the file # will expire and you have to re-submit. You will also need to bring form "Affidavit of Boat Inspection" with you. The wildlife agent can sign this form in lieu of getting the form notarized.

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

cvincent wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am Hi Salty,

Total costs were: $183.00 state taxes, $164.14 parish taxes, $96.00 registration fee.

I forgot to mention that once you receive the letter with the file # you only have 30 days to schedule the inspection. If the boat is not inspected within 30 days the file # will expire and you have to re-submit. You will also need to bring form "Affidavit of Boat Inspection" with you. The wildlife agent can sign this form in lieu of getting the form notarized.
Thanks
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341