How to register your newly built boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
bateau-webmaster

Re: How to register your newly built boat

Post by bateau-webmaster »

There we go stickied once again.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Gino wrote:Bexar and Guadalupe county Tx. San Antonio is the largest city in area.

Take receipts and cash to Fish and Game office. Do not take boat.

Show that you have receipts ( they won't look at them). Pay $25 fee to register boat as homemade. Schedule an apt with game warden to examine boat

Return for inspection. Warden will go through short checklist. 5 min if that.

Paid $80 and received all numbers and paperwork. Game warden only wants to verify it is homemade, could care less about pics or paperwork.

Office staff was clueless what was needed. Game Warden was decent and moved process quickly.

Painless.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Regulations for Norway (in case there are more Norwegians building their own boats or looking to do so and register the boat afterwards):

In Norwegian (English translation follows):

Full tekst: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... asjonskrav

Punkt D) er av interesse for selvbygde båter.
d) Er båten selvbygget, skal kopi av kontrakt for leie av støpeform, kopi av kvitteringer på kjøp av halvfabrikat og/eller materialer brukt i konstruksjon legges ved. Bilde(r) av båten kan legges ved for å dokumentere produksjonen. Ved selvbygg der båten er bygd fra grunnen av, dvs. den er støpt/sveiset/snekret av eier, trenger ikke båten og CE–merkes. Det trenger den heller ikke hvis den selges etter at det har gått 5 år i fra ferdigstillelse. Hvis båt skal selges før det har gått 5 år i fra ferdigstillelse må båten CE–merkes.
I korte trekk må man kunne dokumentere ved hjelp av bilder at man har bygget båten selv før den kan registreres i Småbåtregisteret. Merk at man ikke får forsikret båten om den ikke er registrert og registreringsskilt utstedt.

Nyregistrering koster NOK450,-.

Skjema for registrering finnes her: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... 5a18bf75d4

ENGLISH:

Full text: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... asjonskrav

Article D) is of particular interest for home-built boats.
d) If the boat is home-built, a copy of the invoice/rental contract for the mold, receipts for the purchase of prefabricated parts and/or materials used for the construction must accompany the registration form. Pictures of the boat can also be submitted as documentation for the build. In cases where the boat is made by the owner from the ground up, i.e. molded/welded/built from wood by the owner, the boat does not require CE approval. Likewise it does not require a CE approval if sold more than 5 years after completion. If the boat is to be sold within 5 years of completion, a CE approval is required.
The short version is that you need to be able to document your build to register it in the Norwegian Register of Small Boats (Småbåtregisteret). Note that you cannot insure your boat without it being registered and have had a license plate issued.

New registrations cost NOK 450,-.

Application form is here: https://www.redningsselskapet.no/sbr/re ... 5a18bf75d4

EDIT: After a chat with my insurance company, they informed me that it is possible to insure unregistered boats. Some insurance companies charge a higher premium for the insurance as there is greater risk involved as the boat can't be tracked, but most, if not all will insure your unregistered boat regardless of whether it's a self built boat or a bought production boat. Also, there is no law mandating boat registration nor insurance, though both are recommended.
Last edited by Christer on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

kvrhovcak
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kvrhovcak »

I am building OD16 in Europe (Croatia) and I read "Amateur boat building in Europe". Anyway, seems that the registration procedure here is easier if I can prove compliance of the plan with standards - can I download somewhere some type of certificate for purchased plan?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Compliance :doh:
It is impossible to guarantee compliance with every law in every country but our boats are designed in accordance with the ABYC and USCG standards.
The ABYC industry standards (American Boat and Yacht Council of which I am a member) are very close to the CEE norms and we have many boats built and registered in Europe.
Read more in our FAQ and in other threads in this form: in Europe, amateur-built boats do not have to conform to CEE norms, they do not need to have to follow all those ISO rules. Those rules are for professional manufacturers.
The problem is that in some cases, the local officials are not aware of that exemption. Evan Gatehouse and I have posted several times the exact article of CEE rules that says that amateur-built boats are exempt.
If you don't find it, I will do the search myself next week.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

kvrhovcak
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kvrhovcak »

jacquesmm wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm Compliance :doh:
It is impossible to guarantee compliance with every law in every country but our boats are designed in accordance with the ABYC and USCG standards.
The ABYC industry standards (American Boat and Yacht Council of which I am a member) are very close to the CEE norms and we have many boats built and registered in Europe.
Read more in our FAQ and in other threads in this form: in Europe, amateur-built boats do not have to conform to CEE norms, they do not need to have to follow all those ISO rules. Those rules are for professional manufacturers.
The problem is that in some cases, the local officials are not aware of that exemption. Evan Gatehouse and I have posted several times the exact article of CEE rules that says that amateur-built boats are exempt.
If you don't find it, I will do the search myself next week.
Thank you for answer! Yes, there are quoted CEE rules in "Amateur boat building in Europe" thread. I am just asking if you can share some type of certificate (eg. issued by ABYC, for designer or company), without any additional effort from your side. Bottom line is that I would like to avoid discussion about plans quality with local authority, because I can prove that I purchased plans from experienced designer instead trying to design boat by my own.

P.S. Where I can report few inconsistencies in conversion to metric units in plans? Can be helpful for other builders in Europe.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

There is no such thing as an ABYC compliance certificate, sorry.
In the US, the builders are responsible for compliance but it is voluntary, not mandatory. No paperwork is issued.

In Europe, there is such a document but it is only required for professional builders. There are organizations who check compliance and they charge several thousands of Euros per plan!

I can make a copy of my ABYC membership and post a PDF here. It is a big diploma and I can not scan it, just take a picture.
Now that I think of it, I also have a SNAME diploma (Society of Naval architects and Marine Engineers).
I will go to my old office, take pictures and post them here.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the discrepancies in metric, please post them with the drawing number.
The translation is done automatically by the CAD system but we may miss a few when we select what must be translated.
There is only one model, one drawing, all parts are the same but the dimensions look different.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry for the quality, I did not want to take them out of the frame.
That should enough to show them that the plans were not drafted by an amateur.

kvrhovcak
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kvrhovcak »

Thanks for the effort! I will describe my experience once I finish legal procedure.