Favorite Boat Building Tools

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favorite Boat Building Tools

Post by Reid »

Hey All,

I wanted to start a thread to discuss everyone's favorite tools they have used in boat building projects throughout the years. Please post any and all home made or store bought tools that have served you well over the years or new tools that you have recently tried and can't put down. I am also curious to know what tools are a "Must have" in your shop.

Thank you!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Favorite Boat Building Tools

Post by pee wee »

Did you check for other threads on this subject? I think there already are a few.
Hank

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Everyone will say multi-tool, and I concur.
But I have a humble tool I use all the time: it's the end 15" of a tape measure that got damaged. An awful lot of measurements are in this range and the end hook is so handy that I'm sort of surprised you can't buy one.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:05 pm Everyone will say multi-tool, and I concur.
I hate that SOB tool. It may be useful but I still hate it with a passion. I would burn them all but you pretty much can't find anything that is as useful as those SOBs.

My favorite tool is actually set 100yr old hand saws. Rip, crosscut, and a coping saw. Got them from an antique store and found a guy to sharpen rip and cross cut. Strait cuts are very fast to make. Coping saw is limited but effective for trim.

Granted the SOB tool is probably the better one to like. I just can't do it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Best thing any builder can have around is a young energetic helper. One that will be happy running a longboard for hours on end. If you have one of them boat building is a breeze, but they are really hard to find.
Any quality hand tool that is properly sharp is a joy to use. And at times they can be faster and less mess than powered tools. I find a lot of uses for a Japanese pull saw. All that being said I would really miss my Sonic Crafter if it was gone.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

No idea why you hate the multi-tool so much. I bought it for the triangle sanding head for corners on the boat but the cutting you can do is impossible with any other tool. I'd no more be without it than without my Dremel, although I don't remember using that at all on my build.
I'd agree with Fuzz about a sharp hand tool. I've just recently gotten into doing my own sharpening and it really makes a difference.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My disdain for the SOB tools is completely irrational. I admit it. They are incredibly useful and fix just about anything. Heck mine bailed me out on the bow frame mess and will be trimming rubrail all day today.

I still don't LIKE it though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Check this out for a few other ideas: http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60359
Hank

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The reason I hate the oscillating tool is the cost of the tooling. They got a monopoly on producing them and they are WAYYYY overpriced.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

HF now has generic blades but I haven't tried them.
Tony