DE25 Ownership Log

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: DE25 Ownership Log

Post by Matt Gent »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The front hatch is a pretty effective wind scoop - its big. I saw a nice scoop on a sailboat last trip, about 4'x3' and built like a tent. Might help a bit, but the problem is the bugs. If we anchor out where there is good wind and far from bugs, the boat rocks a lot. If we tuck into a protected cove, there isn't as much wind, and when we open up the bugs come in around dusk. Ideally we'd be in the anchorage and be able to close everything up for an hour or two when the bugs are out.

I added some details on the kicker in the thread linked above. Works fine in calm water, haven't tried it in adverse conditions yet.

This trip we planned to go to the Abacos for 7-8 days in late June. We were about 35 miles out of St Lucie inlet when the engine started hesitating. At first just a minor miss, then it bogged pretty hard a few times. Never quit, but we were headed to a fairly unpopulated area with few mechanics or parts available so we turned back. Had to run right into FL afternoon storms behind us after the Gulf Stream had been pond-flat. Of course the engine ran fine the entire ride back, so we headed south to the Keys instead. At least there was help available.

Few days in Elliot Key, Pennekamp, and Tavernier paddle-boarding and diving, boat ran great the whole time. So we left for two nights in Bimini and then a travel day back home to Stuart. Altogether 7 days on the boat with one rest day at a friend's condo in the middle.

Pics:
-Saw an example on THT of using a beach shade kit as a rear canopy. I put in some cupholder / rodholder combo units in the rear gunnels to support these. Goes up and down easy, provides lots of shade, and under $100 as a project. Just can't run planing speeds with it up. May upgrade one day.

Some amazon roof racks take the strap tension off of the roof rails and let us use the paddle board pads we already had. Also here you can see the refinished front-hatch. Filled in the plexi area with scrap coosa, routed the edges, and glassed over the entire outside. No more leaks and now people can sit on it. Its a little darker in the berth area so we now have some battery-powered LED lights.

Put a bolt eye in the corner of the cabin top and made a rear pole support for a hammock

Somewhere in the Keys. Don't trust Navionics after this and one other incident. Lots of detail, but it read 4' deep here. Garmin GPS was more conservative. We floated off in a few hours

So we hung out, had dinner, watched the sunset, and were treated to some bioluminescence on the flat while waiting for the tide

Sunrise off Elliot Key
Gun Cay

Looking for dinner

And preparing it
Last edited by Matt Gent on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Great pictures and love the report! Could the engine acting up be stale fuel going through the system? Since it cleared itself up.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice photos!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Matt Gent wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 pm Thanks for the feedback guys.

The front hatch is a pretty effective wind scoop - its big. I saw a nice scoop on a sailboat last trip, about 4'x3' and built like a tent. Might help a bit, but the problem is the bugs. If we anchor out where there is good wind and far from bugs, the boat rocks a lot. If we tuck into a protected cove, there isn't as much wind, and when we open up the bugs come in around dusk. Ideally we'd be in the anchorage and be able to close everything up for an hour or two when the bugs are out.

I added some details on the kicker in the thread linked above. Works fine in calm water, haven't tried it in adverse conditions yet.

This trip we planned to go to the Abacos for 7-8 days in late June. We were about 35 miles out of St Lucie inlet when the engine started hesitating. At first just a minor miss, then it bogged pretty hard a few times. Never quit, but we were headed to a fairly unpopulated area with few mechanics or parts available so we turned back. Had to run right into FL afternoon storms behind us after the Gulf Stream had been pond-flat. Of course the engine ran fine the entire ride back, so we headed south to the Keys instead. At least there was help available.

Few days in Elliot Key, Pennekamp, and Tavernier paddle-boarding and diving, boat ran great the whole time. So we left for two nights in Bimini and then a travel day back home to Stuart. Altogether 7 days on the boat with one rest day at a friend's condo in the middle.

Pics:
-Saw an example on THT of using a beach shade kit as a rear canopy. I put in some cupholder / rodholder combo units in the rear gunnels to support these. Goes up and down easy, provides lots of shade, and under $100 as a project. Just can't run planing speeds with it up. May upgrade one day.

Some amazon roof racks take the strap tension off of the roof rails and let us use the paddle board pads we already had. Also here you can see the refinished front-hatch. Filled in the plexi area with scrap coosa, routed the edges, and glassed over the entire outside. No more leaks and now people can sit on it. Its a little darker in the berth area so we now have some battery-powered LED lights.

Put a bolt eye in the corner of the cabin top and made a rear pole support

Somewhere in the Keys. Don't trust Navionics after this and one other incident. Lots of detail, but it read 4' deep here. Garmin GPS was more conservative. We floated off in a few hours

So we hung out, had dinner, watched the sunset, and were treated to some bioluminescence on the flat while waiting for the tide

Sunrise off Elliot Key
Gun Cay

Looking for dinner

And preparing it
You need a screen on the hatch.

But you could also try a small 110 ac unit on a Honda generator.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Yup were working through how to screen it in while we were smashing mosquitos. Front hatch is easy, the opening window is a little more tricky, plus the aft companionway. And some places have no-see-ums, which will go through standard screening. We have a honda generator and a small AC from an RV, I just don't really want to carry them and adapt the AC to the boat. Plus neither is salt water friendly.

My best guess is debris in the fuel, which is odd. The tanks were nearly empty before the trip, I filled them with gas on the trailer from a car gas station (not marina). And we ran for an hour and a half before it started so it was in the middle of one of the tanks, not beginning or end. Had a fresh Racor in. It cut out intermittently more like a coil or switchbox was failing, sounded to me more like an electrical device rather than fuel starvation but the fact that it ran great for a week after that says fuel.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For ventilation, I like the Breeze Booster. It is designed for power boats and create s storm in the cabin.

When the wind dies, Caframo Sirocco fans, they need very little power.

About Navionics: update. The bottom changed a lot after Irma. I ran aground near Soldier Key last year because I had not updated.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

The wind catcher I saw was very similar to that, thanks for the brand name. Looks like it would fold up small too, will try one. Would much prefer that and screens to the genny and ac. The other issue is that the hatch is most of the way back on the berths, so sleeping feet forward we get some breeze on the head and shoulders, rest of cabin is static.

I run Navionics on an iPad with a recent download, so it should be up to date but I'll check. It was a poor decision to try to run in an un-marked channel, luckily at least it was low tide. And the park rangers never came by for a visit. Microskiff went through right behind us, must have had local knowledge as they did a zig-zag around a shoal and got right through. We were leaving Jones Lagoon (amazing paddling spot!) so not too far south of Soldier. The blinking shrimp/plankton (?) and glowing jellyfish made the unscheduled stop worthwhile!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Matt Gent wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:43 am Yup were working through how to screen it in while we were smashing mosquitos. Front hatch is easy, the opening window is a little more tricky, plus the aft companionway. And some places have no-see-ums, which will go through standard screening. We have a honda generator and a small AC from an RV, I just don't really want to carry them and adapt the AC to the boat. Plus neither is salt water friendly.

My best guess is debris in the fuel, which is odd. The tanks were nearly empty before the trip, I filled them with gas on the trailer from a car gas station (not marina). And we ran for an hour and a half before it started so it was in the middle of one of the tanks, not beginning or end. Had a fresh Racor in. It cut out intermittently more like a coil or switchbox was failing, sounded to me more like an electrical device rather than fuel starvation but the fact that it ran great for a week after that says fuel.
It still could be electrical. Erratic signal, poor connections and moisture could all be issues. Our bus has had power problems off and on for the last 5 years.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt, I love that you are getting your getting so much enjoyment of your boat and keeping us updated on it. Please keep doing so. I love to see the pictures your pictures of where you have gone. It is a seldom member that posts like you do.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yeah...like a picture of No Excuse on a Carolina lake 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman