DE25 Ownership Log

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

DE25 Ownership Log

Post by Matt Gent »

Reference the linked thread, where I found the broker listing for a DE25 that I just bought in North Carolina. http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61864

Its not a build thread since I didn't build the boat. I feel for the owner/builder, who put a ton of time & effort into this and for outside reasons wasn't able to fully enjoy it. I haven't yet met him as I bought it through the brokerage.

I'll use this thread to ask questions and post pictures as I use/upgrade/modify the boat. It is the long cockpit version, and built to plans as far as I can tell. Suzuki DF140 on an Armstrong bracket, SeaStar steering, 2X 30gal poly tanks in boxes in the cockpit.

It tows great with a mid-size pickup:
IMG_5896 (Small).JPG
IMG_5896 (Small).JPG (108.23 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
image1 (Medium).JPG
In the other thread I mentioned the prop ventilates in turns. I've had boats that were worse, but it is noticeable. Here's a pic of the keel, it runs full length to the transom. However the motor is nearly 30" back on the bracket. The motor is also mounted fairly high, in the lowest bolt hole. I didn't yet get a chance to put a straight-edge from the running surface back.
IMG_5927 (Medium).JPG
Another observation - this boat has zero through-hulls. Not even a plug. To go along with this, it doesn't have a bilge pump. As best I can tell, the only way for water to get into the bilge would be for a major leak in the cabin, or for enough water to get into the cockpit to get over the lip into the cabin or over the bottom of the transom hatch doors. Bilge was dry when I inspected the boat, and it had been sitting there for months. I'm not too comfortable in taking trips without having one at all...

The cabin top feels like it is laminated from thin ply with some strips (or foam?) as core/spacers. Is this standard in the plans? What kind of weight can that take - people sitting or standing on it? Paddle boards or kayaks? It is reinforced from inside where things are attached, like hand rails or the mast.

Matt
Last edited by Matt Gent on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DE25 Owner thread

Post by Jeff »

Matt, Congrats on your purchase!! Would you send us some photos of the cabin? Really good looking boat. Hope everything works out for the builder!! Jeff

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

With 30 " of setback that skeg should be no problem.
Novi 23 finally launched !

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

That's a beautiful boat. I'm no expert but I second your notion on adding a bilge pump. Someone might be able to give you a better answer on your cabin top questions if you had some pics of the underside of the roof....while you're at you might be able to take some pics of the cabin for us to ogle.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt no problem with the keel causing problem with the Armstrong Bracket. You mentioned the motor and prop being high, so that is probably the result of your ventilation. Run a straight edge from the bottom and see how high the center of the prop is. Also see my post in your other post on propellers, I think with a change we can give you a better handling boat. Get rid of the plowing and help with the handling, and top end. I have a prop in mind that provides lift at the bow and is a four blade that provides better handling over a 3 blade. We will just need to dial in the size.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Photo dump:
Berth
image6 (Medium).JPG
Cabin roof fwd
image5 (Medium).JPG
Cabin roof aft
image4 (Medium).JPG

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Cabin looking aft
image3 (Medium).JPG
Cabin looking fwd
image2 (Medium).JPG
Trunk cabin roof
image7 (Medium).JPG

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Hardtop. The mast is hinged and held up with ropes. I may make a fixed/removable prop for it, so I can slide paddleboards up there.
image8 (Medium).JPG
Trunk hatch. This is probably the first thing I'll refinish, as there is a little checking. Could use routed edges. I like the window for some light down inside, but it isn't strong enough to stand on. Also need a prop to hold this thing up safely.
image9 (Medium).JPG
Fwd deck / sprit. Its got a nice plow anchor, and the rode slips nicely into the little portal, and the box drains out the side.
image10 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by Matt Gent on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Trailer tie downs
image11 (Medium).JPG
I'll address the maintenance and safety stuff first. I don't like these tie-downs, the trailer really is too short for the boat so there is no structure aft of the transom. At least the bunks go that far back, but the trailer is made for an 18-21' boat.

Not sure what I'll do here, I don't like the "seatbelt" style of strap over the gunnels due to wear.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Prop: I agree with Tom, the prop is probably high. You say fairly high but can we get a number? If you call Armstrong, they will probably tell you that for that set back, the cavitation plate should be about 2" above the hull surface.

Plowing: what is that? I don't see anything explaining what happens there but it probably is trim.

Roof: it looks built as designed: 1/4" framed. It is not a roof to jump on but with that framing, it can take a board or two, no problem.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com