DE25 Ownership Log

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: DE25 Ownership Log

Post by Matt Gent »

The boat has zero holes below the waterline, and I'd like to keep it that way. Still almost sunk in the Tortugas. So a thru-hull is out. And shoot through doesn't work with the plywood core.

Transducer works fine where it is. Only real issue I have with it is driving through floating seagrass patches in the Gulf of Mexico, which are everywhere. They get hung up, and I have to reach over and clear it. That will be harder if the transducer is moved more centrally.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Matt Gent wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 am The boat has zero holes below the waterline, and I'd like to keep it that way. Still almost sunk in the Tortugas. So a thru-hull is out. And shoot through doesn't work with the plywood core.

Transducer works fine where it is. Only real issue I have with it is driving through floating seagrass patches in the Gulf of Mexico, which are everywhere. They get hung up, and I have to reach over and clear it. That will be harder if the transducer is moved more centrally.

So where do you live and fish gom?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Depending on how much work you want to put into the transducer, you could always get down into the bilge and carefully grind away the inside skin and core, fill the missing core with epoxy/milled fibres/fumed silica, glass back over it, and put in a in-hull transducer then.

It's a pain but then you're done with it, forever. I think I'll be putting a spot for an in-hull transducer in my current build, which of course is easier during the build, but if you have space in the bilge, it could be done after the fact. Around here you actually see a fair number of guys who have just bedded a standard transducer in silicone, in their bilge. If the only obstacle is the core, I'd consider it, personally.

After all, by the time you do the cosmetic overhaul, you'll have put so much into that thing, you might as well have it in the exact configuration you want.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Yeah I thought of that too. Really don't want another project now, but that is less work than a lot of refinishing. There's room in the bilge pocket near the transom. Need to find a way to get retired.

Tabs are near-term to make longer trips more comfortable.

I live in SE Florida (Atlantic) and travel to SW or Central FL (Gulf) once or twice a year on average.

Edit to add: I don't really fish. I explore, dive/freedive, spear fish, and catch lobster. So fish-finding isn't my priority, but I do like to know when I'm on structure. I like the imaging from the side-scanning transducers. Best I can tell those are all through-hull or transom mount, which I guess makes sense for field of view. I can't find any documentation on spacing of transom mount relative to tabs.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Pecking away at small jobs when I can. Used some scrap ply from the pontoon console to replace the rigging tube block on the transom. I guess this could have just been screwed into drill/fill/re-drilled epoxy plugs, but I replaced it as it was.

Couple things I noticed.
-The transom outer glass in this area is super thin! Like maybe one layer of 12oz. The load is a little lower in height, and it has full-height knees up to the deck. But I expected much more.
-The transom to bottom corner has a healthy radius, maybe 3/8-1/2". I guess it was rounded for glassing but never back-filled with thickened epoxy. Probably not the best for a planing boat but this thing is kinda slow. It is going to make a pretty large offset for the trim-tabs.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd fix the radius. You'll get a pickup in speed.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt Gent wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:53 pm I can't find any documentation on spacing of transom mount relative to tabs.
Matt from what I know of the side looking transducers they have a slight angle should not be interfered with by your trimtabs if you move it half way between the trim tab and the motor. I assume you are mounting your trim tabs as far out on the transom as possible. There will always be a dark space beneath the boat with any side scan sonar.

Good luck Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

All the side scan sonars I've seen look down at either a narrow angle (60 degrees or so) or a wider angle (45 degrees or so) depending on settings. So they show to the sides underwater, but shouldn't signal to the direct sides of the transducer. I would want the tabs at least 8 inches away if possible. Since you will be using it off plane mostly, just lift your tabs up out of the way.

Side scan is the best for diving applications, since you can clearly define objects (sunk cars, coral heads, artificial reefs...) at slow speeds.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Right, that would be my usage. I'd want it to reliably read depth at speed, and scan for structure (in say 10-100' of water) at idle, tabs up.

There's no way I can get 8" spacing with the 24" tabs. It would be more like 3". I can get close to 8" with the 18" tabs. In the end Bennet said if I can't fit the 24" to go with 18", and add drop fins to the sides for improved lift.

My concern is if I go with the big tabs, there's enough turbulence / entrained air with the small spacing that it doesn't reliably read depth at speed. I don't think the tabs would ever be in the way of the viewed swath of the transducer. Not sure if stainless plate could cause any kind of interference.

I'd guess it will be OK but its hard to go back after the fact.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

On the trim tabs, are you looking at the 9" or 12" chord?

Could you get away with a 12"x12"? Their website mentions using the 12" chord tabs for boats with limited transom real estate. They might not be most effective, but given the transducer requirements and other constraints, that might be a good compromise.

Note that i am a complete trim tab newbie, and have been trying to educate myself about them for future projects.