FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by OrangeQuest »

I like that color also. At times is looks blue and other times it looks more sea foam greenish. I am sure it is the lighting and the surroundings, but I like how it has the hint of not being white.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey all,

I got the topside/decking/hatches primed and ready for paint. I continued to use the System Three Pennant Primer (formerly called Yacht Primer). I really do like the ease of use of this primer. The topsides all received two coats. I had my tipping brush ready to go but did not use it all! You can see from the finish that there is not one air bubble in sight. I will do a little sanding with some 120/220 in preparation for the Quantum 99 Topcoat. The sole and decks will all get some nonskid additive as well.
-Reid
FS18 Topside Primer 1.jpg
FS18 Topside Primer 2.jpg
FS18 Topside Primer 3.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

You're almost there. Your boat looks fantastic, and great job on the fairing and hatch builds. When is the launch?

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Reid wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:14 am Hey all,

I got the topside/decking/hatches primed and ready for paint. I continued to use the System Three Pennant Primer (formerly called Yacht Primer). I really do like the ease of use of this primer. The topsides all received two coats. I had my tipping brush ready to go but did not use it all! You can see from the finish that there is not one air bubble in sight. I will do a little sanding with some 120/220 in preparation for the Quantum 99 Topcoat. The sole and decks will all get some nonskid additive as well.
-Reid
Finish looks absolutely *perfect*. I'll bet you can't wait to get her in the water. Won't be long now, I'm sure.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Reid she looks great It has been a long time coming but you're getting there. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not long now. Finishes are a pain, but you know you are getting close.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

seaslug wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 pm You're almost there. Your boat looks fantastic, and great job on the fairing and hatch builds. When is the launch?
I wish I could give you a launch date but with the fact that "something" always comes up I probably will post a launch date when I am actually driving to the ramp! :lol:
Believe me, my wife probably asks me twice a week.

That being said, the end is in sight!!!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Supporting a family and little kids is an important first.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey Everyone,
It's been a while since I posted so I wanted to share my progress. I am really enjoying this stage of the build! Yes, obviously because it's almost done, but more so because I get to see all the pieces come together. I love seeing a plan come to fruition, the brightwork, the rubrail choice, paint, grab rail, console box, etc... I did some dry fitting with the grab rail. Next I will drill some oversized holes, fill them with thickened epoxy and then be able to mount the grab rail into those plugs. This will keep any water away from the plywood sole. I will do the same thing when I mount the jack plate. I have an RTic 45 cooler on the way that will be sit in front of the grab rail and double as a seat. Once I have the motor the final stages of rigging will start!!!

-Reid

(Not sure why some of these photos appear sideways or upside-down, but just click on them and they will open up correctly)
IMG_7623.jpg
IMG_7624.jpg
IMG_7625.jpg
IMG_7626.jpg
IMG_7627.jpg
IMG_7628.jpg
- Steven Wright

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really clean looking boat!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne