FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by TomW1 »

Nice work Reid.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice hatches!
In 2011 Joel Shine sourced some 3/4" fiberglass rods and a bunch of us made our own stakes. I simply sharpened one end and wrapped the other with rope to give it a grip. Richard made some mahogany handles for the two he uses on his XF20. A friend of mine made some adjustable aluminum brackets that Bateau was also carrying. A push pole works in soft bottom, but the stakes can be jammed down through oysters.
A friend of my son is now a rep for power poles. I told him last week he is selling really expensive anchors to whimps (sorry Brown Dog 8) ).
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I got all my fiberglass rod and tubes from Max-Gain Sysyems in Georgia. The shipping isn’t too bad if you place a biggish order but keep under the size & weight that triggers FedEx oversized charges. As mentioned, the poles work great as stakeout sticks and the tubes can be used for things like chase tubes, scuppers, and rod holders.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

No worries Capeman.

I’ve had a fair amount of problems with the power pole. Cracked hydraulic lines. Pole deploying while trailering due to hydraulic fluid leaks, etc. They are expensive to purchase, install and maintain.

That is why we did not install one on my brother’s boat and just went with the transom bracket and stick-it pole. Easy to install and use. No moving parts to break or maintain. Fairly inexpensive. An anchor and rode would do the job too for maybe even less money.

Despite all that, I see a lot of boats around here with one or even two power poles. Lots of money for an anchor only good for shallow water.

The biggest benefit of the power pole is that it is convenient, fairly quiet and relatively quick to deploy via the remote when fishing by yourself and using a bow mounted trolling motor to ease along while casting from the bow.

The drawback of any type of stake out pole on the transom, unless you have two, is that the boat will eventually spin downwind or down current and the water will slap against the transom and possibly splash up into the boat. I’ve even seen boats take on water due to the current causing water to flood in through the scuppers. Anchoring from the bow keeps the boat pointed into the wind or current which is generally preferable.

I’ve been lucky enough to fish for bonefish and other species that inhabit shallow water quite a bit all around the Bahamas, Mexico, Belize, Honduras and elsewhere and I’ve never seen a flats skiff that was being poled by a guide have a power pole.

For a lightweight skiff like the FS 18 designed for poling if it was mine I would not put a Power Pole or a MinnKota Talon system on it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

As the “power is evil” representative, do a bit of a hybrid approach. I use a 1/4” fiberglass driveway marker through my dagger slot or into the mud and tied to my bow cleat. Good for 36” depth or so. If I come off that due to current, 3lb grapple, 10’ chain, 100’ nylon. (Only time that slipped was a cobia.) typically less and 3’ of rope needed but I’ve put out all 100 in deeper water and high winds.

Keep in mind I’m in a v12 with sail and oars. Shallow is easy for me. So is anchoring.

Small boat wins!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

toadfish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by toadfish »

Hatches look really great Reid. Strong enough to stand on?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

toadfish wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:22 pm Hatches look really great Reid. Strong enough to stand on?
Absolutely! I did a test, put the hatch on the ground sitting on two pieces of scrap 1x2 on the edges of the hatch. The hatch didn't flex at all when I stood on the middle.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

cape man wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:34 am Nice hatches!
In 2011 Joel Shine sourced some 3/4" fiberglass rods and a bunch of us made our own stakes. I simply sharpened one end and wrapped the other with rope to give it a grip. Richard made some mahogany handles for the two he uses on his XF20. A friend of mine made some adjustable aluminum brackets that Bateau was also carrying. A push pole works in soft bottom, but the stakes can be jammed down through oysters.
A friend of my son is now a rep for power poles. I told him last week he is selling really expensive anchors to whimps (sorry Brown Dog 8) ).
Capeman,

I actually have the last 3/4" fiberglass rod in the shop with me. I was thinking about finishing it, like you and Richard did, and attaching a bracket to my jackplate (to avoid more holes in my transom). It would be similar to the way Bob's Machine Shop makes a Power Pole bracket to mount to their jackplates. The fiberglass rod should fit nicely in one of the rod storage slots under the gunwale caps.
What would be the best way to attach some sort of SS tip to the end of the fiberglass rod?

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Reid wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm ...What would be the best way to attach some sort of SS tip to the end of the fiberglass rod?
One of these stainless steel shallow-water anchors tips should do the trick. Image
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

cape man

Post by cape man »

You don't need the tip. Have been jamming mine down for years and the tip is fine.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman