FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by glossieblack »

That straight sheer round chine look is going to turn heads. Very nice. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Good to see some progress! I love the paint lines on the frames/rod holders. Nice touch!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I hated the piping bag. I think because my quantities were too large. Stuff heated too fast, was too much work to bag...

For sure, makes sense for smaller amounts and a way to use less.

Perhaps I have 300 pounds too much in fillets. Makes me nervous to think about..

Boat looks good.

Pick a few hours a week to get er done!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Hey Everyone,

Getting down to a lot of the little meticulous parts of the build. It really is amazing how much time the finishing touches take.
I spent some time making some trim for the inside of my gunwale caps. The trim pieces will do two things, add to the aesthetics, but more importantly, they will dramatically stiffen up the gunwale caps. The gunwale caps are made from 9mm OKU, and while they are structurally sound without the inside trim, they had some flex when I walked on them, especially the inside edges. The trim was made by ripping pieces of 4mm OKU and laminating two layers to get my desired length. Once I laminated the two layers I dry fit and trimmed to fit the port and starboard sides. The trim pieces were then glued (using System Three Gel Magic) to the inside edge of the gunwale caps, as well as, the tops of the gunwale supports. They were also glued to the frames (B and E). All these points of contact left me with a really stiff gunwale cap. Next, I used my router and quarter rounded the inside and outside edges of the gunwale caps. I did this because I plan on fiberglass taping the edges of the gunwale caps with some 6oz., 6" woven tape. The tape will simply help to reinforce the seams.
Here are a couple of pics.

Talk soon,
Reid
FS18 Gunwale Trim 1.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Trim 2.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Got all of the taping done on the gunwale cap seams, inside and outside. Next, time to fair.

-Reid
FS18 Gunwale Taping 1.jpg
FS18 Gunwale Taping 2.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

cape man

Post by cape man »

Bite at a time...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

The work we expect to see. Nice and clean!

Will you lay a piece of glass between the tapes, or fair it all in?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm The work we expect to see. Nice and clean!

Will you lay a piece of glass between the tapes, or fair it all in?
Dan,
Not going to tape in between the edges. Going to hit the edges of the fiberglass tape with the sander to knock down the edges then I will fair in with some Quick Fair.

Hoping to be able to prime shortly thereafter.

-Reid
- Steven Wright

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looking good! She's gonna be beautiful!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

cape man wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 am Looking good! She's gonna be beautiful!
Thank you!
She'll be ready for the 2025 Builder's Meet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
- Steven Wright