FS13 'Lil Stream

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS13 'Lil Stream

Post by terrulian »

Well done. I love the idea of making the mold. The potential for using glass and epoxy is seemingly infinite.
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Great idea for making round corners but how was the bolt used :doh:

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

The tube wanted to collapse when pressure was applied to the mold. The bolt kept it from collapsing. There has to be some wiggle room to get the tube free from the epoxy. Tape held the mold in position. I'll take a picture when I get the other one going tomorrow. I plan to use medium hardener on the next corner.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Wow, it's been a bit since I posted something. I owe you guys a picture of the cooler progress. I've got all four corners fiberglassed. I need to start the inner cooler walls and clean up the inside.

I had a couple of areas that I rushed through and I needed just a little more epoxy so mixed a small batch that must have been bad. I had to scrap and grind them out. That is frustrating! :( It is fixed now. :roll:

I've got the cloth ready to apply. Two of our regulars for Tuesday night bible study cancelled so I might get to work on it tomorrow night or put it off until Thursday night since the wife will be out of town.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Just caught upon your build Barry. Your round cornered cooler is going to look the goods. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Hey Barry, I hate you had to deal with a bad batch. It's not fun but the boat is looking great! :)

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks guys! :D

The work continued tonight. I got the outside epoxied and fiberglass laid. I'm hoping that I don't have another mixing issue. I mixed to whole songs. That's normally 3 mins. Scrape the sides a few times during the mixing and then applied as fast as possible. Epoxying the sides stink. :lol:

Epoxy set up CL style.

Epoxy and fiberglass applied. :)

And a couple of pics of the cooler/battery box so far. The corners need to be built up and I need to start working on the cooler insert. I'm thinking just simple fillets on the inside of the insert. The rounded corners took too long. 8O

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice work Barry. The layup looks great!

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks Eric.

I used 4 pumps of resin, 1 pump of medium and 1 pump of slow. Already firm enough this morning to take a razor blade to the glass and trim off the excess. I should be able to start fairing on Thursday. This will not be to Eric's standard. :wink:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

BB Sig wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am Thanks Eric.

I used 4 pumps of resin, 1 pump of medium and 1 pump of slow. Already firm enough this morning to take a razor blade to the glass and trim off the excess. I should be able to start fairing on Thursday. This will not be to Eric's standard. :wink:
Barry, Watch the monster coming y'alls way. Get the crap away from it.
The boat can wait. You need anything PM me.