28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by DAYTRIP »

You have a ton of fairing completed mike! Nice work. Moving along. What power you doing on this one?

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Planning on twin 250/300s. Your experience provided that choice. If you hear of a good set please send them my way

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

What are the plans for that Stratos? Looks like it'd make a great inshore bay boat. It'd be cool to pull the cap (and liner I'm guessing). Go back with Carolina-style covering boards & floor to make it a three-piece hull. That would lower the freeboard to more of a bay boat level. Put a raised deck up front and leave the cockpit open.

Anyway...what are YOUR plans...LoL

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

I would be a great inshore boat. What do you mean by Carolina style covering boards?

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

I just mean to build simple wood covering boards like they would on a Carolina boat. In essence, get rid of the Stratos liner/cap...unless it's structural.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

Mike,
Have you considered adding water misters under the hardtop? I was talking to a friend on Friday, who said he's been offshore when the sun was really bearing down. The boat had a freshwater tank with a couple of misting nozzles under the top. That water mist made a world of difference on the temperature inside the boat!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:36 am I just mean to build simple wood covering boards like they would on a Carolina boat. In essence, get rid of the Stratos liner/cap...unless it's structural.
The cap on boats is structural.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TRC886 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 am Mike,
Have you considered adding water misters under the hardtop? I was talking to a friend on Friday, who said he's been offshore when the sun was really bearing down. The boat had a freshwater tank with a couple of misting nozzles under the top. That water mist made a world of difference on the temperature inside the boat!
Sounds like a really great idea for a warm weather boat.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

The Work has been progressing slowly. Spring yard work and doing some needed updates on the first Bertram. Here are some pictures. Almost have the bottom of the hardtop ready to mount. One more round oh high build primer and sanding and I will mount it. Wanted to do as muncher's work as possible on it off the boat to avoid sanding upside-down. Have been fairing and sanding and fairing and sanding on the hull. You all know how that goes. I I didn't want it to look good it would be easier but I wouldn't be happy. I think I'm almost ready to put some spray fair on it and see how much more fairing i will need.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What is spray fair please and thanks?