28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Well here I go again. The second Bertram project. I learned a lot with the last boat from the advice on this forum and thru trial and error. The last one took 2 years. I hope this one to be quicker. Still trying to decide if I want to go with duel outboards or use the same configuration I/O that the current boat has. I believe outboards would be a faster rebuild and give me a faster boat based on what Daytrip has done with his boat. Economy wise I would expect about 1-1.5 miles/gallon. Cost wise a set of new 300 HP Yamahas will run about 48K. If I decide to resell this boat it will probably be easier with outboards.

The current boat with the 370 Hp yanmar performs well but i feel the boat is underpowered. I was hoping for a cruse of upper 20s and it takes a little longer than my previous diesel boats to spool up to full power. I do love the economy at 2.5 m/g and am not uncomfortable being offshore with only one engine due to the reliability of the diesels. If I decide to go back with a diesel I will go with a 480 or 540 hp cumming QSB 6.7. The cost of a reman cummings mated to the volvo DPH-C will be about 47K so cost is the same as twin outboards on a bracket.

For boat configuration I am torn between going back with an express layout vs a center console like the Invensible boats uses in it 39 open fisherman model. The 28 Bertram with its 11 ft beam would allow for a very wide console with easy seating for 6, 3 facing forward and 3 facing aft and still have plenty of cockpit space and would allow access to the bow.

Let me know your thoughts and any other considerations.. I will be bringing the boat home over the July 4 weekend and starting demolition.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Reid »

I'm eager to see this project! I have always liked Bertram. Personally I would go with duel outboards on a bracket, especially if you are looking for resale value. As far as configuration goes, what about doing an open cockpit, wrap around seating, with a hard top tower. This way you get the comforts of having a nice big cockpit with room to sit and enjoy a sandbar day but it also leaves plenty of room to fish. I like these configurations on small sport fishermans because they look really clean. Anyway you go I'm sure you will have no issues with a resale. Those are great hulls.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

If i was building this for myself i would build it with a big center console and a big Cummings diesel .
If i was building to sell i would build it with outboards .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Reid, can you give me an example of a boat that you are talking about.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Mbiggerstaff wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 pm Reid, can you give me an example of a boat that you are talking about.
This is a friend's boat, 35' custom. It is obviously larger than your Bertram but you can get an idea of what I am talking about. The cockpit is very clean with plenty of sitting room. Your tower would certainly not be as high but a smaller scale version would work. This would allow you to keep your space below deck. What is down there by the way?

Reid

Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

That is what is was thinking about as an express version except for the seating.I had a boat with side seating like your friends and did not like it too much. It was not very comfortable for the passengers. When riding out in less than ideal conditions they were always sliding down the seats toward the stern piling up on each other. The 28 that i just finished is very similar except the seating is rear facing with a little tilt to make it less likely to slide out of the seat. I live in Greenville, NC. The boat is currently in Charleston.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I prefer the look of the express, but I am partial to weather enclosures on boats. If I got to choose, it'd be dual outboard with the express look. If I see a center console here in Mn, I do a double take; they are rare.

...Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

So...this is a lot of work. I say mark out your cockpit & helm space, and use the forward area as cabin. We're going for custom express here. At the transition from cockpit to helm have a few inches of step up. Add on bridge wings and a short dayboat lip forward of the dash. At the same pit/helm transition build raised storage/live well pods with seating on either side.

Outboards all day long.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Or go crazy & extend the hull 3'...make it everything the 31 could have been.

devinfox
New Poster
New Poster

Post by devinfox »

cape_fisherman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm Or go crazy & extend the hull 3'...make it everything the 31 could have been.
I don't mean to hijack, but is this a doable thing? Cut a boat in half somewhere and graft in a section of hull and splice or add new stringers/frames? I have done it with an older jeep to essentially make a scrambler out of it, but jeep did the engineering on the scrambler (chassis and all) already.

I think the 28 Bertram is a great little boat, but some extra length would be nice.