28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Daytrip, by mounting center do you mean the distance between engines? If so why could it not be more or less? 7" is a number I needed to know. Didn't think about tilt. I am in the same situation as you with the engines. A good friend want to go to bigger engines on his boat and he has 250s now. I was planning on going as wide as the outboard stringers and extend the stringers all the way to the transom board.

If you are thinking about another one come join me for a day of grinding out old glass and you may reconsider!

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

After some modification here are the newest measurements

Rciminieri
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rciminieri »

That boat will never compare to a 32. Totally different hull. Hunts hull had much more rise much further back with reversed chines. You mentioned 370 yanmars being underpowered?

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Hey Mike,

So just to give you what I know and did. For every ft of set back I raised the engines 1 inch. The bottom of the bracket slopes up at that same pitch. My bracket is 30". I came up 2.5 inches from the bottom at the existing transom. Then I sloped up from there then made a 30" transom. For reference my platform is 22" from the top of the gunnel in the center. Yours will be lower with the 25" motors. The clamping board is 7" up from the platform. All that said my engines are mounted 2" up from the top of the clamping board.

You can mount the motors wider but not closer than 28.5" for Yamahas as they won't turn. If you go wider you may have to custom build a tie bar. They are expensive! Check and see what you are getting with the motors. Those things are like 400-500 bucks. The only issue making the tub as wide as the outer stringers (70") is the trim tabs won't fit. The top of the actuator won't have room unless you are using something different? Mine is 48" wide and could have been 60" with the way my tabs are set up.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Thanks jim. With motors up, how much clearance do you have to transom? I am thinking of building a seat into the transom.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Not much!

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Good pix. No room foe seat unless i make the bracket 4 feet long which is probably too much.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

You could do it on the side but the center would be tough. For reference those scuppers are not at the original floor height. The platform is right we're the original scuppers were.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Jim. Did you ever weigh the completed boat?

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

I did not. It is light though. Building a ballast tank under console now. I thinks thousand pounds will really help. I would guess I am about 7000 lbs