Skoota 18 Open Deck

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Wheels Up
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Skoota 18 Open Deck

Post by Wheels Up »

I'm looking to build either the PC 20 or a Skoota 18 with a (mostly) open deck for fishing. Honestly, I prefer to build the Skoota if I can build it without the completely enclosed cabin.

My use will be mostly recreational day cruising in protected waters, anchoring down and having a beer while playing a game of cards, but I would like to also be able to toss a few lines over the side and fish a little too.

Ideally, I still keep the windscreen and I could still incorporate an area for a head. The rest of the seating areas can be outside, probably under a bimini. I don't expect to ever stay on this boat overnight.

Can it be done without a complete redesign?

Wheels Up
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Skoota 18 Open Deck

Post by Wheels Up »

I have considered the Skoota 24 for the same role, but I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the folding setup. This boat will have to be on a trailer frequently.

Wheels Up
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wheels Up »

For anyone else out there with a similar question, I want to bring a resolution to the thread.

I spoke with Mr. Woods via email a few times. He said it is entirely possible to build the Skoota 18 as a small fishing boat without a big cuddy. He's going to make a few alterations to his drawings in the near future for me and point me in the right direction.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Richard Woods is a very good designer as well as a designer that will work with you on his boats!! Nice fellow!! Jeff

YotaTruck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by YotaTruck »

Wheels Up wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:23 pm I'm looking to build either the PC 20 or a Skoota 18 with a (mostly) open deck for fishing. Honestly, I prefer to build the Skoota if I can build it without the completely enclosed cabin.

My use will be mostly recreational day cruising in protected waters, anchoring down and having a beer while playing a game of cards, but I would like to also be able to toss a few lines over the side and fish a little too.

Ideally, I still keep the windscreen and I could still incorporate an area for a head. The rest of the seating areas can be outside, probably under a bimini. I don't expect to ever stay on this boat overnight.

Can it be done without a complete redesign?
Good post-I would be interested in the same, but for the Skoota 24. In fact I put up a post about it on Mr. Woods' forum if you care to read it:

http://woodsdesigns.freeforums.org/mini ... -t432.html

Essentially I'm looking to build something that looks better and is more efficient than a pontoon boat. We currently use an old pontoon for fishing, crabbing, and clamming in the bay, and pleasure cruising/fishing on local lakes and rivers. No overnight trips. Would it maybe make more sense to email Mr. Woods directly?

Wheels Up
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wheels Up »

First: I'm I huge Toyota fan, so it looks like we might have something in common outside of boats. I've had four Toyotas: a '78 Corolla, a '95 Pickup 4x4, an '09 Tundra 4x4, and my current daily driver is a 2000 4Runner with 315,000 miles on her. Anyway, back to boats...

I've found that Mr. Woods is quite responsive to emails. I think he travels quite a bit, and it appears that he checks his emails more frequently than message boards.

I know the Skoota 24 is a completely different design than the 18, so you may or may not find your answers to be a bit different from the solution to my question. But in my case, Mr. Woods told me that the cuddy on the 18 is not a structural component. After a bit more discussion, I decided that I would purchase the plans to the 18 as they are and simply build it without any cuddy. I do product development for my day job, and I'm quite comfortable with 3D CAD, so I'll just draw up my console and seating designs myself. Since I'm not affecting the structural components, it's easier to draw things like this myself than to try to get someone else to draw what I have in mind.

I would like to have built the 24, and would have pursued the same program of a (mostly) flat and open deck. Unfortunately, the beam of the 24 is too wide to trailer without folding and I don't really want to build a folding boat.