Awlgrip Tip & Roll

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Awlgrip Tip & Roll

Post by BB Sig »

Browndog wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm This week I am painting the FS 19 that I'm building for my Brother with Awlgrip in their Aquamist color after 4 coats of Silvertip Yacht Primer. I'm using 4 inch foam rollers and 2 inch brushes to tip it off to break the very small bubbles on the surface that the roller leaves behind. The key is to use their Awlcat #3 Brush Converter and then also use their Brush Reducer. The mix is 2 parts color base to 1 part Converter and then reduce by 10-33% with the Brush Reducer. I've been mixing 6 oz. of Color Base, 3 oz. of Converter and 2 oz. of Reducer. That amount allows me to coat both sides and the transom with little to no waste. I bought a Gallon of the color base, but in reality I will use only about 2 Quarts for 5 - 6 coats. Most likely I will use the remainder to paint the inside of the hatches on the boat
I grabbed this from another topic and thought it should be here. Thanks Browndog for the recipe! :D

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Awlgrip Tip & Roll

Post by BB Sig »

seaslug wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:54 am If you're using Awlgrip only use a natural bristle brush, the Coronas work fine, but I prefer one that's a little less stiff. Remember, with Awlgrip, only roll a small area, maybe a foot or two at most of the hull before tipping. On a vertical surface, never, never, brush horizontal, you'll get sags. Just a very light 1 stroke vertically, than leave it alone, it will flow out, and the brush strokes will disappear. Roll the paint with a 4" foam roller, and roll it on very thin. The first coat will be very transparent, don't worry about that, it should get 3 coats for the best finish, although I'm usually too cheap and stop at 2. Lightly sand with no coarser than 220 between coats. On a flat suface, like the decks, just roll, no need for tipping. Mike

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Awlgrip Tip & Roll

Post by BB Sig »

Seaslug,

Did you use the same formula that Browndog did?