HC12 England

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HC12 England

Post by Eric1 »

There you go! Good Thinking!!

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Started assembly this afternoon.

I really struggled to torture the chine panel to take the camber on station "A" but I put a ratchet strap round and got it quite near. I might just remove the mold and reduce the camber. I'm going to have another look tomorrow but I really do like the shape the bow takes with the camber.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Interesting.. I had wondered about that, but guessed that it must naturally want that camber since the plans allow for not using forms at all but just using spreaders when assembling it all.
Guess ill find out soon, you are keeping one step ahead of me so far :P
The competitive side of me wants to try and beat you, the cautious side wants to stay a step behind and see what to avoid :P
Keep it up!

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Narfi,

I think I am suffering because the ply I'm using is very rigid.

I suspect that next time I'm on it, I'll take my plane to the mold and ease things off just a bit.

I doubt I'll get anything done this weekend; working tomorrow and competing in a trial on sunday (silly little motorbike with no seat)

I'm looking forward to logging in on Monday to see you painting :D

Col

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Did a bit more yesterday.

All panels stitched together and "spot welded"

Sorry, no pictures :oops:

My "ickle" girl is getting married tomorrow so I won't be dicking about with epoxy for a few days

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Flipped over and glued the outside seems today. Also laid some bi-ax fabric on some foam that I an going to use to form sealed compartments at each end. Oh, and rubbed down and gave a coat of varnish to the cheap paddle I bought

IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7420.JPG
IMG_7421.JPG

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looks Good!
Looks familiar :P

What weight fiberglass tape did you use? It looks different than what I got.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

narfi wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm Looks Good!
Looks familiar :P

What weight fiberglass tape did you use? It looks different than what I got.
Thanks Narfi, it's an "ickle" version of yours :D

There's no tape on there yet, just a wet of epoxy to prime the ply before filling the corner joints.

I can't get the suggested weight bi-ax in the UK so am using a light woven tape. It doesn't comply to compound curves as well as bi-ax and has a "knitted" edge that sits up a bit. Bi-ax would be easier but the stuff I can get here would use too much resin so cost and weight is an issue. The little boat would be as strong as an arctic icebreaker though.

I have a confession.............. I am not really enjoying the build of this little canoe 8O :oops:

I am a carpenter by trade but outside of work I like to do some benchwork with hand tools; little dovetailed boxes and the like. I'm normally striving for accuracy to a knife-line so this gappy, messy, sloppy and sticky method of construction is screwing with my head a bit. I find myself getting annoyed that I can't seem to be as neat and tidy as other work I've seen people on here do. I'm really looking forward to finishing and using the canoe whereas normally it's the making I enjoy the most.

I think that working in a restricted space is adding to my woes a bit.

Hey Ho, let's see how I get on today, maybe my head will be in a better place when I can see I'm getting to some milestones.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Hehe it's the opposite for me.
I've never worked with wood so it's all a learning curve but I like learning.

I am an aircraft mechanic so while most of my work isn't done for beauty there are strict requirements to quality.
The freedom of being able to take such broad strokes with no ill consequences on this boat project is quite enjoyable.

Long term plan is all based around Landon though I'm doing most of the work. Canoe first then the FS17 to get around on our big lake with..... then we start on a kit plane and hopefully have it done in time for him to start lessons in his own plane that "he built"

I've seen you use the term "ickle" before..... what does it mean?

Edit: I have noticed that pictures I've posted look better than reality. I don't think you have anything to judge yourself poorly over. Every thread I've read here has some measure of self doubt and every one turns out fine. I think at least for myself I have to just lower my head and go headfirst into it otherwise I just sit back doubting my next step and waste a day.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

When in doubt about "clean build" go look at my v12 build. You'll feel better. My boat has bugs in layers of epoxy, massive gaps spanned with scrap and thickened mix, and there was a MASSIVE amount of sanding to get rid of drips, runs and anhd prints.

Yet she sails and rows perfectly.

Just smile at the simplicity of the build and have a pint while you laugh at the mess. It's what I did.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.