HC12 England

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC12 England

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Thanks chaps for the encouragement.

I'm glad I didn't start a bigger boat as a first project or I might be really regretting it.

narfi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 am I've seen you use the term "ickle" before..... what does it mean?
It's just "Little" but said as if you were a toddler just learning to speak. :D

Got the outside sanded down and shaped today. Primed and taped all the seams inside and out.
IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG
IMG_7424.JPG
IMG_7425.JPG

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Got some fairing done on the outside, not going to worry about the inside too much.

Also did some fiddly bits, related to some foam at each end and gave the paddle another coat of varnish.

Trying to decide on which paint to use and what colour(s)
IMG_7427.JPG
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_7429.JPG

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looking great, I think you passed me again ;p
I haven't started on my inside yet.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Thanks Narfi,

I don't deliberately blur the photos but it helps :D

The problem is, I haven't finished anything yet :-)

It's a strange process using epoxy; bursts of sticky, messy, rushing about followed by long periods of waiting for stuff to dry.

What paint you going to use on yours ?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I've got the system 3 high fill yacht primer and AWL grip top coat both ordered through the site here.

I plan on spraying as that's the only part of this project I've got any former experience with.

I have graphite powder I'll mix with epoxy for the bottom..... guess I need to get some rollers for that :p

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

I can't get System Three here :(

I have found a two-pack epoxy primer but I'm tempted to go one-pot stuff for the topcoat.

I'm going to roll my paint with the hope that the texture achieved will hide some of the sloppy build :oops:

Can't decide whether to go with bright and cheerful colours or stealth mode. What colours you going for, or will that spoil the "big reveal" ?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Right colors may hide some "builder sins" better than others. If you want to camouflage a few consider that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Got a little bit done today.

There were no cars parked at work so I popped the canoe outside and knocked back the first coat of lightweight filler a bit and had a little scurry about with a palm sander on the inside. Took the opportunity to get some pickies.

You can see that the woven tape I used didn't lay down nicely. It has a knitted edge that as well as being thicker than the tape, stops it from taking a curve. The holes you can see at each end are tubes I made from bi-ax, fitted through oversized holes and filleted, and glassed internally. They will be for the painters and also used as hanging points for storage.

IMG_7431.JPG
IMG_7432.JPG
IMG_7433.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG

I have made a little space in the compartments at each end that I'll fill with foam.

The little decks will be 1" thick foam sandwich and I intend to make the seats out of 65mm foam.

I put the boat back inside and got some more fairing mix on the bottom and upper panels. Also glassed the foam for the seats.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks nice!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

You moved your drain holes????