Narfi's HC14 build thread - LAUNCHED

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's HC14

Post by Jaysen »

My thought in rub rail construction for "next time"...

I think I'm going to dry fit and pin the rails. Then, protecting the hull with wax paper glue the entire rail together bent. Once that's set remove the now glued rail from the hull and sand off wax paper. At that point I'd use a fence on a saw or router to perfect width and shape.

For super long rails I'd use "staggered" overlaps to allow the rail to be removed in two or more pieces.

Reinstalling the rail is just gluing it back in to hull.

That's what I'm thinking. But that's a dangerous thing for me to do.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

I cut mine to the shape of the panels when they were flat and planed them up to size. I glued them on making sure that the bottoms were pretty-much spot-on and I only had to shoot off a millimeter here and there to get the top looking sweet. It was very tedious cutting the bits though.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen it might be dangerous but it sure sounds like a fine idea to me :!: Now if I can just remember it when the time comes :roll:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

bigyellowtractor wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm
Your little barge is looking very fine. I had a little sit in mine today, I have to say it feels pretty small 8O
Hehe I have sat in this one a couple times as well (one reason I moved the seats closer to center and a tiny bit lower than in the plans)

I'm 5'10" 240lbs and I am just hoping it's part of the allusion from being up on the blocks on top of the table..... but it feels like I'm perched way up out of it when sitting on a gallon bucket similar height to the seats.....

Will be fun once in the water to see how those fears and reality separate themselves.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:50 pm Jaysen it might be dangerous but it sure sounds like a fine idea to me :!: Now if I can just remember it when the time comes :roll:
Dangerous how? Honest question.

I don't see it as any different than making a compound curved roller for a granny chair. Or finishing off a steam bent piece. Heck, since the lamination was keyed it should be a bit easier.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen you said it was dangerous for you to be thinking. My reply was to say your thinking was spot on. I like the idea and hope to remember it when needed :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 pm Jaysen you said it was dangerous for you to be thinking. My reply was to say your thinking was spot on. I like the idea and hope to remember it when needed :D
Doh!

The two of us alone in a room with one door might not be able to get out (if there was a bottle of rum involved woe wouldn't want too). I was convinced you are talikinh about the shaping of the laminated preformed rail. I need to finish unpacking before I post more nonsense.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I don't know... I'd have to see it to be able to visualize it comming out perfect.

I like the ideas behind "KISS" and "higher a lazy guy to figure out the most effecient way to do something."

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I am the lazy guy. Seriously. My approach was to just use thickened epoxy and build up the bottoms of the rail. Anyone looking to point out issues there will expose the target I'll be looking to hit with my foot.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I overdrilled the hull into the resin dam so I can fill the plywood with thickened epoxy and drill through just epoxy, all the wood protected.
(you can also see the gouge I put in the rubrail while routing that I need to fill in.
20170814_102811.jpg
I put tape under where the side braces for the seats will go. You can see that the epoxy had leaked out of the gaps on the main braces, so needed to make sure they got filled.
20170814_102738.jpg
I cut the side braces and glued them in with thickened epoxy. (hard to see the clear tape but it did a decent job of keeping the epoxy from running away)
20170814_102841.jpg
There wasnt quite enough scrap left for the second seat, so I cut a little more out of a 4th sheet of plywood.
If I had gone with smaller breasthooks and no compartment bulkheads, and been willing to piece the seats together in 2 peices of plywood each from scraps, There would have been enough plywood in 3 sheets, but I wasn't as careful as I could have been cutting stuff and planning a head, and I did make compartments at each end. So total plywood used will be 3.5 sheets with lots of scraps left over.
20170814_103617.jpg
Once it was mostly cured, I removed the clamps and gave a good coat of epoxy to all sides top and bottom of the braces.
20170813_160904.jpg
20170814_103750.jpg
At the same time I gave a liberal coat of epoxy to the underside of the seats and a second coat to the inside of the compartment panels.
20170814_103719.jpg

All was good until after repeated times telling him NOT to mess with the chip bag on the planer, Landon got it off and dumped over all the fresh epoxy. I was pretty frustrated but....... what can you do? Ill sand off the chips today and give it another coat of epoxy.
20170814_103808.jpg
Took a peak in this morning and all looked good except one side brace had slipped a little, nothing that a little extra thickened epoxy wont fill when putting on the seats though.
20170814_103847.jpg
Lots of little bubbles in the epoxy, what causes that?