PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by cape man »

I have 2, 1" scuppers in the aft corners of my OD18 which are right at the top of the sole. Empty at the dock or at anchor the boat self bails. Fill the bait well and the water comes in. Get in, and the water comes in. I have never let the water come in until it stops to see how deep it will get, but bet it would be similar to yours (3-4"). I plug the scuppers from the inside to stop that from happening. Underway, it self bails with a huge load. I have a separate 1" drain that goes to the bilge below the motor well and a 500gpm pump with an auto switch and separate switch on the console. What do the inboard openings on your scuppers look like? I would plug them while fishing or going slow, and pull them while planing. That's what I do.
As to swamping and ultimately sinking, I 1) never take the boat where I think that might happen; and 2) believe that it will still float and eventually drain out if I ever take a huge wave into it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I just read through all the posts from the last few days and i think something like the elephant trunks would be ideal for this situation. They are commonly used on small boats that aren't self bailing at rest, but you want to be able to evacuate water while underway. Plus you could probably build a flanged piece to accept the trunk that would bolt/screw to the transom and cover the existing scupper tubes with minimal effort to give it a try.

Phil

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Cowbro wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:24 am I just read through all the posts from the last few days and i think something like the elephant trunks would be ideal for this situation. They are commonly used on small boats that aren't self bailing at rest, but you want to be able to evacuate water while underway. Plus you could probably build a flanged piece to accept the trunk that would bolt/screw to the transom and cover the existing scupper tubes with minimal effort to give it a try.

Phil
Thanks Phil, see ya on IG!

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

cape man wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:35 am I have 2, 1" scuppers in the aft corners of my OD18 which are right at the top of the sole. Empty at the dock or at anchor the boat self bails. Fill the bait well and the water comes in. Get in, and the water comes in. I have never let the water come in until it stops to see how deep it will get, but bet it would be similar to yours (3-4"). I plug the scuppers from the inside to stop that from happening. Underway, it self bails with a huge load. I have a separate 1" drain that goes to the bilge below the motor well and a 500gpm pump with an auto switch and separate switch on the console. What do the inboard openings on your scuppers look like? I would plug them while fishing or going slow, and pull them while planing. That's what I do.
As to swamping and ultimately sinking, I 1) never take the boat where I think that might happen; and 2) believe that it will still float and eventually drain out if I ever take a huge wave into it.
Do you have an idea on making or buying a removable watertight plug for this inboard scupper?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Make it out of a 1 - 2" wide piece of wood. Tapered on the end that goes in and it should hold if you give it a whack. It will test your wood-working skills! Put a folding ring on it to pull them out. If it doesn't work it didn't cost you much...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Anyone have any experience or comments about a "Duckbill Scupper"?

It has good reviews!

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/th-mari ... ll-scupper

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes. They work. They leak a little bit at standstill and on plane, drain slower than the full open ones but altogether, they work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:35 pm Yes. They work. They leak a little bit at standstill and on plane, drain slower than the full open ones but altogether, they work.
Thanks Jacques, I will give them a try and report back.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

nightcrawler wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:27 pm Easy solution is drain to the bige and redundant bilge pumps. Not ideal but quick and easy. Make's you a little uneasy for long runs offshore ;depending on pumps but not as uneasy as swamping if your motor fails
Thanks Nightcrawler, If I can find a solution at the transom, that will be next! At least the bilge will stay clean during a wash down! :)

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Did you ever here back from JM ?