PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by nightcrawler »

I am building the pg 25s. Should be ready to flip next week .After reading about your problem i am thinking of raising my sole 1.5 inches and moving the console forward 8 inches. I really dont want a bow heavy boat ,but sure dont want standing water on the fish deck. maybe i wont permanently mount the console till i float her. Welcome to all suggestions.
Thanks
Roland

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I will look for tennis ball scuppers. I used them on sailboats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ron, question for you do you have scuppers at the transom with flaps on them at deck level. Is water flowing back through them? And is that the problem.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I've seen elephant trunk scuppers on zodiacs around here before. They're definitely planing boats.

I'm not recommending them or anything because I've never used them. But they must work on planing boats. If I were to fit a pair, I'd put a rigid piece of plastic on the bottom with a cord run through it that tied back to the transom so I could fold them upright just by pulling up the cord. I think I saw that done on Russell Brown's PT Skiff, which wasn't quite self-bailing, but kind of a hybrid system.

Anyway just a bit of info on elephant trunk scuppers, in case they do ultimately turn out to be an option for you.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ron-have you ever tried to add a few hundred pounds to the bow?

And where are batteries and anchors and such?

I'd say you need to move some stuff forward to see if it helps. The boat ought to be better on fuel as well.

Remember, weights in boats are moments, not masses.

A 40 pound battery on the stern moved to the front of the boat like a Panga 25 is a moment difference of about 800 ftlbs. (40x20 ft)

The water you said fills the boat (one man)has a mass of about..

1" average water tapering to 6' at about 5' wide is about 30/12 cuft of seawater. This is 160 pounds at about say 5' from the center of mass or about a 800 ft pound moment. So, moving a battery stern to bow offsets that. The console and t top moved one foot is probably 200 more.

Also, I would take the boat and trailer to a certified scale. Drop the boat in the water fully rigged and go back and weigh truck and trailer alone. Find the difference and that is the weight of the boat total. You want to make sure she is not waterlogged.

About 3-4 years ago, I. put my boat on a stern diet. I weighed all outs at 83 pounds. I weighed all ins at about 40. So, I was able to shed 43 pounds from the stern.

If you have a kicker motor, the fuel for the kicker, if different, could also be moved, for example. I went from a 3 gallon steel tank to 1 gallon fuel tank on the engine in my diet plan...

The boat ought to be dry for you alone.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You may think me a pest Ron, but the Yamaha 70 is 265 pounds and that would be about a 1000 pound moment as well. Obviously, you can't move it to the bow, but 100#@10' would be a big change.

...something to think about for repower time someday

In fairness to Jacques, the Pangas were really not designed for 350 pounds hanging back there. Even my fishing boat is affected by the four stroke weight

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:56 pm Ron, question for you do you have scuppers at the transom with flaps on them at deck level. Is water flowing back through them? And is that the problem.

Tom
I have scuppers/drains in the transom at deck level. Built per plan, through the bilge in rectangular "boxes". They are the style with rigid rubber flaps. Thanks!

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:06 pm Ron-have you ever tried to add a few hundred pounds to the bow?

And where are batteries and anchors and such?

I'd say you need to move some stuff forward to see if it helps. The boat ought to be better on fuel as well.

Remember, weights in boats are moments, not masses.

A 40 pound battery on the stern moved to the front of the boat like a Panga 25 is a moment difference of about 800 ftlbs. (40x20 ft)

The water you said fills the boat (one man)has a mass of about..

1" average water tapering to 6' at about 5' wide is about 30/12 cuft of seawater. This is 160 pounds at about say 5' from the center of mass or about a 800 ft pound moment. So, moving a battery stern to bow offsets that. The console and t top moved one foot is probably 200 more.

Also, I would take the boat and trailer to a certified scale. Drop the boat in the water fully rigged and go back and weigh truck and trailer alone. Find the difference and that is the weight of the boat total. You want to make sure she is not waterlogged.

About 3-4 years ago, I. put my boat on a stern diet. I weighed all outs at 83 pounds. I weighed all ins at about 40. So, I was able to shed 43 pounds from the stern.

If you have a kicker motor, the fuel for the kicker, if different, could also be moved, for example. I went from a 3 gallon steel tank to 1 gallon fuel tank on the engine in my diet plan...

The boat ought to be dry for you alone.
Here are the answers to your questions:

I have a small Danforth anchor is in the bow. I have 2 half size gel batteries under the helm station. I only have some tackle boxes and safety gear in the stern lockers.

The boat plan recommended a 50 gallon fuel tank under the helm station, I put in a 32 gallon in the bow. I do not have a kicker motor.

I did exactly what you described to weigh the boat and that it weighed 2,540 pounds.

It's impractical to move the console/helm and the T-Top only weighs 98 pounds and I can't see raising the sole at this point.

Even with a full tank of gas in the bow (202 pounds), the standing water is still present. I don't feel putting the boat on a diet is the answer, but thanks for your suggestions!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I don't profess any expertise here.

Only questions.

Why would you scupper below the scum line on any boat?

I thought the point of the scupper was to allow water, like rain water, to exit the hull, not only when he is on plane.

Ron-accept my apologies here, but I don't think your boat should be wet!!

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:38 am You may think me a pest Ron, but the Yamaha 70 is 265 pounds and that would be about a 1000 pound moment as well. Obviously, you can't move it to the bow, but 100#@10' would be a big change.

...something to think about for repower time someday

In fairness to Jacques, the Pangas were really not designed for 350 pounds hanging back there. Even my fishing boat is affected by the four stroke weight
The plans recommends a 70-125 hp outboard. I chose a motor in the middle of that range. The weight of 70 hp is 253 pounds, the 90 is 359, a difference of 106 pounds. At a cost of $6,000, that does not seem like a prudent solution. I built the 25 over the 22 in order to take out family and friends, 106 pounds is not even one small person, but thanks!