Minimax Hydro S&G

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Minimax Hydro S&G

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Has anyone here built or driven a Minimax? It's a little 8' hydroplane type play boat- plans are on boatplans-online. Seems like there were a lot of them built back in the 60's- but I wasn't around yet so I've never seen one in person or driven one.

Is this a boat that is relatively safe for an inexperienced wife/kid to play around on a small (400acre) lake? Does it have weird handling issues?

We're moving to a place on the lake (one of those life goals we didn't know if we'd ever be able to pull off) next month and my wife has expressed interest in a jet ski or something fun like that to play around with. I'm not a fan of those- seems most people driving them behave poorly, they burn a lot of fuel and seem to have a lot of maintenance issues (especially older cheaper ones that have been used hard), and in WI kids can't drive them until 16 even with a boating safety course. Boats they can drive at 12. Since my daughter is turning 11 in a couple weeks, she's way more interested in a little boat.

Looks like a simple plan- it's stressed skin plywood with minimal framing. I'd pretty much follow the old plans, but instead of a million screws I'd just bond everything with epoxy and then glass it inside and out. Should be super strong as a composite if it's enough with just plain plywood. Probably 10 oz woven or 12 oz biax on the bottom and 4-6oz on the top. I'm thinking about maybe a 2" wide strip in between the top and bottom panels to give it a little more freeboard and reserve buoyancy- leave the shape of the panels alone- just space them apart a little and add a rubrail so it doesn't get so chewed up at the dock. Paint the top and graphite the bottom. Stick a cheap old 8-18hp outboard on it and rip around the lake....

Anyway, I'd certainly appreciate any voices of experience, or recommendations for other cheap little easy to build boats of a similar type.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Minimax Hydro S&G

Post by jacquesmm »

We are talking about that since a couple of years and again yesterday.
Yes, those boats are are good candidates for our building method and I have a complete 3D model of it. Plus, one of our business collaborators (Mike Sadlon) is an experienced power boat and hydroplane racer, APBA official of and enthusiast about the project.
Yes, he has driven those little boats, he even flipped one 2 months ago while testing the limits of an 8' hydroplane.

The boats are as safe as a small fast racing boat can be but we will put a strong liability disclaimer on the plans: as a designer, I did not create this litigious culture and do not want to be victim of it, sorry.

Would you build one if I redesigned the Minimax?

Mike Sadlon:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

If you redesigned the Minimax I would certainly build one. I'll probably build one anyway unlrss I find a better alternative. I'd way rather build one made for s&g.

I'll be moving, setting up my shop, and doing a little remodeling so I don't think I could start building until November/December. Could likely finish by spring if I keep the finish and rigging basic. I'm at peace now with my lack of fairing and painting skills so I'm going to build as clean as I can and not spend a lot of time on final finishing.

I'm guessing your version would build pretty fast and be lighter and stronger than the originals, plus incorporate some more modern hull design for safety and performance.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

I looked at a few if those little boats and ended up designing and building my own version. See here - https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60103

I only had an old 4hp jonson outboard on it but could still just about get it up on plane with me (around 85kg) and hit 26kmh.

I would think it would be fine for a 12 year old as long as they're confident and sensible. I'd let my son try it but he has no intetest!

You need fairly flat water for it though. The bow point of mine is only about 8 inches off the water, i wouldn't like to see what happened if that dug into a wave!
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I would think long and hard about this style of boat - it is great for going around the lake fast by yourself on calm days but after you do that a few times then what????????????

We have a jet ski on our dock and it is the last craft to be used because of its "limited uses".

Consider a small boat (modify it to go fast within reason) that can be used for fishing, going to beach, visiting friends on the lake, sunset cruise and make your second build a go fast for fun use!

not trying to be a Debbie downer...................

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

tcason, thanks for the caution, but this ain't a primary / first boat. I've got a few already- 16' aluminum V with an 85hp, 2 CC14's, a scaled down CC14 kayak for my daughter, plastic kayak, 10' Hickman Sled, and a S&G paddle boat. So having a limited mission is fine- and that mission is just dicking around and having fun.

My new house has a big dock. Seems a shame not to fill it up. This will not be good for my BBV condition.

Although I'd think about making it 10-20% bigger to allow a driver plus a small kid. But that dramatically increases the amount of material for building, and then I'm afraid the panels won't bend smoothly with seams in them unless I make all the panels so the seams are centered, and that REALLY increases the material use and waste.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

Minimax sounds like a GREAT addition to your fleet..........

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Maybe since Jacques is talking about designing one, he could do a 10' runabout? Would that fit your plans? 8' and going fast with two people is a tall bill to do safe. The RB14 seems large for what you are wanting but more capable of carrying two people (up to four is the option).

I am betting there would be a good market for a fast moving small runabout that seats a maximum of two people. Fit it for a 9.9 for learning and a 20 hp when the experience gets there! :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I don't know how I missed that. :doh: Never mind...