Minimax Hydro S&G

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Minimax Hydro S&G

Post by Fred in Wisc »

That RB12 is a handsome boat, but past experience indicates I'd take way to long to build it. I'm thinking kinda quick and dirty on this ne, something simple. And reminding myself that no matter how long I fool around with fairing and paint, there's a limit to my abilities with those materials.

Something a little bigger would be nice, fit an adult and a kid, but scaling up a little really increases the amount of material used and I'm concerned that having a bunch of seams will make the panels bend unevenly. that the stuff I'd rather let Jacques think through when he draws the plans- I have to say that he does an exceptional job of proactively avoiding stuff like that in his designs. That's why a modern plan made for S&G would be real interesting.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

The MiniMax is a bit of a family tradition for me - My granfather built them with my dad and uncle, my dad built one with me, and my son is 3....I'll be building one in about two years. Growing up we would strap mine onto the deck of our "big" boat so I could use it on the lake. I would tow it to the canal in our neighborhood with a riding mower.

There is a professional boat builder named Jim Gardiner who is really into these things - even has a jig built to make sure the nose comes out flat/straight.

It is super simple to build, no molds required. I guess you could replace the 1X frames with plywood, and make an egg-crate out of the few internal members. There are lots of deck layouts - mine was simple and open, always used a tiller.

So I will certainly be building one, though not starting tomorrow. I'd be happy to document the process for your site when I get to that.

Photos from Jim - I have only one old grainy one from mine (25yrs ago)

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Fred in Wisc wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm Is this a boat that is relatively safe for an inexperienced wife/kid to play around on a small (400acre) lake? Does it have weird handling issues?
11 is a perfect age for one of these. She may out-grow it in a few years (though my ~40yo dad at the time, at ~260lb, would still hustle it around the lake).

Its a small flat bottom - will slide around, add a skeg or a fin (we used surfing fins) to help it turn. The nose rides about 8-10" off the water, so a small lake is great. My friends and I towed each other around on kneeboards. It can easily be made unsinkable. It has no funky traits that I recall. We had a 9hp johnson tiller, would run just shy of 30mph. Scale up or down as you see fit, 4hp to 25?

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Thanks for being the voice of experience there Matt. I'm currently moving into my new house, so no boat building until we're in and I have a second bathroom built out (gotta keep SWMBO happy) and a few repairs and updates done.

I really like the simplicity of this build and it looks real easy to adapt to more modern methods- just replace all the screws with epoxy and clamps, then skin it with some thin cloth on both sides of the bottom panel.

Ballpark, how long does it take you to build one- the structure, up to the point of fairing and painting?

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Two weekends

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Well, problem solved for now at least. Was browsing craigslist for an appropriate outboard to build one of these and ran across this little guy.

It's been stored in a garage for quite a while, last registered in 2003. It's about 10' long, 4.5 wide, and has a 15hp Sears Gamefisher/ Force outboard ( only 59 pounds!).

Needs a little rigging and a good inspection, but the hull seems well built and rot free, paint finish is good enough for pounding around the lake.

Just couldn't pass that up for $300! Didn't get the trailer, but it's light and easy to move around with 2 people.

I'll probably need a 2nd one later on, I have a feeling it's way more fun to have 2 or 3 and race them around......

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=67157

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=67158

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=67159

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... ?pid=67160

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=67161

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fred, That little boat should be a blast!! Enjoy!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Any kid that can't get in trouble with that needs to learn to relax. And by kid I mean "breathing person".

That looks like way too much fun. If you can get a few more of those I predict many family grudge matches.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

It won't break the 50mph speed limit on my lake, but I can certainly foresee some shenanigans in my future with that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fred in Wisc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 pm It won't break the 50mph speed limit on my lake, but I can certainly foresee some shenanigans in my future with that.
don't talk to Tom for a prop. We wouldn't want to contribute to any delinquency.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.