40 footer sailboat

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 40 footer sailboat

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 pm ... Drinking at sea or before going to sea or the night before going to sea is something I avoid. When you get to port, Katy bar the door. :D
I just flashed back to my Navy port call days.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

And here I'm dreaming of one day owning a Potter 19. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My dream boat (mostly because I’ve been on it and live it) is a Shannon 37 cutter rigged ketch. Right cabin layout. Lots of sail options. Cockpit lines for sheets and mains. Heavy 3/4 keel with keel hung rudder.

Only thing I’m worried about is the draft. Not ideal for shallow Caribbean. And the narrow stern makes hangin Lil Bit from davits challenging at best. She will fit infront of main and cover forward hatch when underway. Which means that we could anchor then use Lil Bit for tender. Almost like I planned it. Almost.

But yeah. A build on a 40 sounds cool but I may not be man enough for that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm My dream boat (mostly because I’ve been on it and live it) is a Shannon 37 cutter rigged ketch. Right cabin layout. Lots of sail options. Cockpit lines for sheets and mains. Heavy 3/4 keel with keel hung rudder.

Only thing I’m worried about is the draft. Not ideal for shallow Caribbean. And the narrow stern makes hangin Lil Bit from davits challenging at best. She will fit infront of main and cover forward hatch when underway. Which means that we could anchor then use Lil Bit for tender. Almost like I planned it. Almost.

But yeah. A build on a 40 sounds cool but I may not be man enough for that.
I just looked that up; she's a beauty for sure.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Most of the Caribbean is plenty deep. Only Florida Keys and Bahamas are really shallow. I can't think of any other place where draft would be an issue.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m figuring several years of Bahamas. Keep boat here and do a few days off shore, anchor around the Bahamas for a bit, then offshore back home. Kind of like a monthly trial of the long trip. Once we are 100% free we’d start doing the other islands.

But it’s all a “someday I’d like to” at this point. Not going to happens unless the boss lady agrees. She’s kind of the big deal for me.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

My brother inlaw has a 38' sailboat he claims as his business office. Has meeting on board and everything. They do short cruises along the Texas coast. When they go on vacation sometimes they Rent a sail boat. He and my sister both have Capt.'s licenses to be the skipper but can not charge for passengers. What is crazy to me is if I want to charge to take people on our gas powered canoe I need a six pack license.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

36 footer up for sale-seethe link
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Saw that. Said “oooo” and wife smacked me. Asked her why? She said “I’m sure it’s a boat thing... I’d almost rather it was nudie pics”.

Not sure what that means but “normal” is no where near me.