40 footer sailboat

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 40 footer sailboat

Post by terrulian »

Jaysen, I forget, have you or are you going to enroll in sailing classes? You can learn a lot by crewing, but there are a lot of things you will never be allowed to do, most probably including docking and maneuvering in tight spaces. Also, navigation, which I enjoy very much, is not going to be taught any more deeply than a glance at the chart. Tides, crew overboard, picking up moorings, reefing, anchoring, etc., are among the skills that many, many captains are inept at, and you won't master them by crewing.
But the biggest thing you will need to learn, eventually, is the mental attitude that comes with being a good skipper and having the lives of your crew in your hands, which I have described as "carefully concealed paranoia." A lot of skippers become unpleasant tyrants, and this is because they are insecure about their own skills and knowledge, and, as Captain Ron says, "It shows."
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tony, the plan is to enroll in Charleston Sailing School and "take it all" over the course of a year or so. The only reasons I'm holding off is wanting to get a bit of time in on Lil Bit to make sure I really enjoy the "whim of the wind" and then wanting to get some time on the race boats to make sure the "chronic seasickness" (wife keeps saying that) is because I behave like a teenager and drink too much before every sail. Every. Time. Even on the big cruise ship.

I was hoping to get the 101-103 in over my party week, but with no Lil Bit time I decided to hold it off another year. Hopefully this time next year I will be "certified" for a bare boat (some idiot put "bone") charter.

And keep an eye on the Lil Bit thread... tiller/rudder assembly on Sat, a bit of "prep" on Sun, then... 2 weeks of sand, salt, bait and sails. Got to get the life insurance check in the mail!
Last edited by Jaysen on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

FYI, it's "bare boat" which means with no captain but you. Many yachts you charter would not be considered "bare bones."
Anyway, sounds like a plan. Drinking at sea or before going to sea or the night before going to sea is something I avoid. When you get to port, Katy bar the door. :D
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 pm FYI, it's "bare boat" which means with no captain but you. Many yachts you charter would not be considered "bare bones."
Anyway, sounds like a plan. Drinking at sea or before going to sea or the night before going to sea is something I avoid. When you get to port, Katy bar the door. :D
bone/boat... same thing? fixed ;)

Why didn't anyone tell me this before!?! For the record, the cruise thing was a hoot. Hit port, had a drink, then a drink then some drinks, then a few drink, then way to many, then ran into a hurricane. I could walk a straight line down the hall, but couldn't hold down water. Wife was NOT impressed.

Anyhoo.... I'm still excited about getting sucked out to sea this weekend.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I sure see lots of folks who use their bigger boats very little. I believe one big part of it is them being scared of docking. The other day I went sailing with an old buddy. The boat is new to him and this is his first boat of any size. When we came back in the wind was blowing about 15 and there was better than a knot of current both out of the west. His slip is east-west entry from east side. As he went to turn into the slip he lost a little nerve and slowed to a crawl. Wind and current caught the bow and we were quickly drifting down on the row of boats on the other side. Things could have got ugly but he just swung the stern around and we backed into his slip. :D Sometimes being lucky beats being good all the heck :lol:
A young man in the slip next to us came over and grabbed the dock lines for us. After we were all tied up he told my buddy "nice dock job" little did he know :roll: After helping us he and a friend were going to take their 25 foot, twin outboard, boat out. They backed out of their slip and quickly drifted down on the opposite row of boats. Last thing I heard was our helper yelling at his buddy "the old guys backed a sailboat into their slip and you can't even keep this off other boats" :lol: :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great story Fuzz!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm good at hitting docks (we all recall the video, right?). But then a big boy boat is a different matter.

IF this happens, we'd be live on for a good portion of the time. But long before that there a plan for progressing between "Lil Bit" and "Whole Lotta" that should keep us out of trouble. Well at least as far out of trouble as I ever am (which isn't very far apparently). The basic progression...
1. V12
2. SB18
3. Catalina 27 or similar
4. Something between # and #5
5. 40' that will be names "Whole Lotta" and serve as home for a journey to see things.

Mrs is ok up to #3 but #2 requires me to get my classes in. She's a real good gal. I don't deserve her at all.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The nicest powered liveaboard in the plywood class would be the Skoota 36. It is massive. Richard Woods has other designs for sail that would also be fun builds and come in at under 100k in materials and labor/help. The Skoota 36 is probably a 4000 hour job.

Personally, I also really like strip construction for boats of this size. Strip and vacuum bagging glass over it all or infusing, if you have the expertise.

Keep in mind, most larger sailing vessels are really a lot of hard work and can be a catastrophe for marriage.

Consider the Skoota 36 powercat. It is quite a vessel.

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/ ... -skoota-36
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When you get to the point of buying/building a big boat I would recommend buying a used glass boat. Pick one with a few warts and bruises but has good bones. You can do a lot of cosmetic stuff for not much money. I would say with careful shopping 50k would get you a lot of blow boat. I know here for just a tad more you could have a Cape George 36 and that would fit the bill for you :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Y’all remember the Shannon I was working on? If that comes up on the market it would be in the range Mrs and I have been talking. The idea would be a solid hull with lots of life. Something not likely to lose all value in a multi year circumnavigation. Valiant, Hans, Shannon, Swan, etc. Well built blue water boats. They are available at good prices. Just have to be patient and have cash.

Anyhoo, y’all got me eye rolled over dinner. “The boat guys were talking about...” she adding names to her list!