Custom Grab Rail Rod Holder

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Custom Grab Rail Rod Holder

Post by nkathman »

Has anyone purchased this and used it with a rod yet? None of my rods, spin nor fly, seem to fit in it. The spin rods hit the angled tube before they bottom out in the rod holder. There isn't enough clearance for the fly reels to sit in the holder either, they instead tilt way far forward and would fall out...
Attachments
IMG_6649.JPG
IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_6646.JPG
IMG_6645.JPG
IMG_6644.JPG

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Grab Rail Rod Holder

Post by Jeff »

nkathman, let me see if I can get you different inserts that better fit your equipment. The inserts can be found quite easy at Bass Pro Shops or similar type fishing stores!! I am having to replace all of mine on my boat as the inserts begin to crack after a couple of years use, especially when used in saltwater fishing!! Jeff

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nkathman »

The problem isn't the inserts as much as it is the rod holder is welded too close to the 45 degree tube, so the bottom of the rod is too long and hits the 45 degree tube long before it gets to the holder (or the insert). If you look at the spinning rod pictures, you'll see the cork handle bottoming out on the tube and the reel is nowhere near the cutout for the rod holder. Did I just get one where the rod holders were welded too close?

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

I agree. Doesn't look to be designed for rod butts that long...and your stuff isn't out of the ordinary for saltwater.

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nkathman »

Yeah, it's all light tackle inshore stuff. I wouldn't expect a surf rod to fit anything not specifically made for it, but the light tackle stuff I would expect to fit.