Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:52 pm Those bolts require annual inspection. I wish I could find an annual inspection sheet for my boat. It'll be a big list..
Was I drunk when I posted this or did you delete the other message cuz I can delete away if u like.
Since your boat is a custom build and other than a few things that already have maintenance intervals, you would need to make your own routine for inspections and adjust maintenance schedules as needed. It will be a large spreadsheet with lots of room for notes.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:52 pm Those bolts require annual inspection. I wish I could find an annual inspection sheet for my boat. It'll be a big list..
Was I drunk when I posted this or did you delete the other message cuz I can delete away if u like.
Since your boat is a custom build and other than a few things that already have maintenance intervals, you would need to make your own routine for inspections and adjust maintenance schedules as needed. It will be a large spreadsheet with lots of room for notes.
For sure Ken, for sure.

Today, gonna be installing the port rigging tube and alll the stuff into the hull. Very exciting, we did star side yesterday..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

With you getting increasingly into your wiring, you also have a detailed spreadsheet of sorts, of all your complex wiring? That would also be on going.

My little build wiring to date is quite simple till I get to the console and start wiring it. Things are starting to slow a lot for me so clearing the workshop for building the console. Since getting the motor keeps being put off, I decided to install all the control cables and hope it is right. I will have to find my build thread!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Working on a few boats with "too much crap" connected to the batteries, I noticed that the manufacturers that use different numbered ends (supply end is A and load end is Q) seem to have better documentation/management in place. Oddly, the Trophy (Bayliner) is in the middle for "ease of maintenance". On the plus side, they have great wiring charts where they simply number the posts to match the wiring harness label then have a diagram that shows the same in the manual. On the down side they don't have a direct harness map to the matching connector on the remote side. They do fully document the remote side, just nothing that says "A goes to port aft Q which then goes to pump connector Z". Contender, Edgewater and Furman seem to provide that map.

If you can do that, I think it will serve you well in the future.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

That’s not a bad way to do it, ideally the “map” is a schematic that shows that. As a marine electrician for the navy, I think it can be confusing when you are troubleshooting if there are two names for the same wire sometimes. you are already in a mentally challenging situation, so just a little more can be too much. I like the method where each object that can have wires connected to has a unique name, and the connection point is labeled uniquely. There should be a physical label in place that can survive the hazards of that location(sun, oil, gas, etc). then the wire or cable has a unique label and it is applied the same on both ends. You have a schematic that shows the mapping.

the value in this is when you are chasing a wire through a bundle or through hatches or other places, you easily know you found the same wire or cable on other side. this applies to even obvious things like battery cables and other stuff. When you are tired, frustrated, have others watching over your shoulder or trying to fix stuff in bad situations there will be reduced errors and could be life saving.
Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:00 am Working on a few boats with "too much crap" connected to the batteries, I noticed that the manufacturers that use different numbered ends (supply end is A and load end is Q) seem to have better documentation/management in place. Oddly, the Trophy (Bayliner) is in the middle for "ease of maintenance". On the plus side, they have great wiring charts where they simply number the posts to match the wiring harness label then have a diagram that shows the same in the manual. On the down side they don't have a direct harness map to the matching connector on the remote side. They do fully document the remote side, just nothing that says "A goes to port aft Q which then goes to pump connector Z". Contender, Edgewater and Furman seem to provide that map.

If you can do that, I think it will serve you well in the future.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks to Jaysen and Johnny and Ken for your posts.

Well, wirng work continues.

Yesterday, I pulled a bunch of the wires that go engine to engine back and am remodeling (sigh). I used a conduit that was 1.2" inside diameter and it is just a bit narrow. Cutting it all out and had to order some glue I can apply in the cold. A shoutout to Aripeka Angler, Richard, for his help showing me Black Mamba.

Sorry, not so many pictures of wire runs and wiring.

Using Visio to make schematics. Gonna laminate them and make a manual because when I go out to the boat I am already looking at sections and wondering what they are...

My labeling must improve. I didn't label enough of the negative bus stuff. So jist about 20 wires come in. Surveyor pointed it out.

Here is what I use. And extreme fade resistant sharpies, but hard to write small for me.

Write-On 3 Inch Long Cable Ties, Pack of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XGME0G/re ... JD7F3W9MTE

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here is a conduit that was 1.2", I cut it out last nite. Gonna use my 2" id rigging tubes that were too short..you can see it also did not match the other conduit; after done, they'll be same. I did not want to cut a big hole in the deck because it is structural.
B1BAB24A-7038-46A5-9930-FCD631FF1ED9.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Super windy here last nite. It was 55F at 7pm and is now 22F with a high of only 23F.

I will go do a little more work out there, but only prep to get ready once the black mamba arrives.

I am going to make visio electrical system drawings today.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

You can get shrink tube cartridges for most lable makers so you can lable each end of wires.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

narfi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:10 am You can get shrink tube cartridges for most lable makers so you can lable each end of wires.
x2! its a little hard to use them if you already terminated your connections. But would be worth it for anything left for sure. And anything you need to remove you can retrofit. They make different sizes, so should be able to put them on the nema 2000 connections too.