Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ready for deck paint in the morning.
1B4A2136-6ADD-418A-91B3-1240BC952F84.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bet that is a good feeling! My little boat looks like it can fit inside that area!

That battery locker holds two batteries?
But that is not all of them, right?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:34 pm Bet that is a good feeling! My little boat looks like it can fit inside that area!

That battery locker holds two batteries?
But that is not all of them, right?
That's a story.

The batteries are from Fleet Farm. I bought two a year ago and was taking 12v off them and fried the one not getting discharged by overcharging. Back in November, replaced them both.

Went to Fleet Farm about 8 weeks ago to get the other two (bank holds four 63# each) and discovered those batteries are East Penn Deka brand relabels. Not any around the country except on Amaripoff for $370 each. not.gonna.happen

Can buy different brand new time four for $800. Bank brand andd time is best all same, so gonna wait.

So, for the time being, two batteries and a rather upset Captain. The boat slip has electric. I have solar maintainers that might work. I am worried about using the Victron chargers because they can fry the alternators. Only a couple months season left here, too.

Need four batteries, not gonna put four in until I decide I have to, maybe next year running the river to Texas.

Ken, you are really a class act. I always enjoy you asking me detailed questions; it shows you are genuine, forgive me if I am patronizing. Thanks. I really appreciate the dialogue. Despite political differences, I hope I can get some fishing time with you someday afrerI learn to fish a bit down there (I'm a decent fisherman, generally).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Around here marine batteries have a shorter warranty than regular cars batteries do for some reason. Maybe it is because I only get 2-3 years out of a boat battery and about 10 in my autos. I am thinking about going to plain old auto batteries in my boats.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Noticed that as well. East Penn told me the battery case material is in a global shortage. Some odd word, starts with d...

Leoch/Full River are the gold standard in AGM gel. Both Chinese and still under tariffs. Current cost is about $200 a piece.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am far from being a fisherman but enjoy going through the motions. I don't think I know enough about fish to even live off them if I had to and only coastal fishing for me. Water starts turning blue clear and I wouldn't know what to do but I do know, it would be too far away from land. 8O

Buying and using marine use batteries is like trying to talk about politics, for some, it is just best to stay out of it. But my thoughts are: Knowing what your power demands are and when they are, knowing the charge state of all your batteries, and knowing went and how to properly charge and maintain marine use batteries.
Fuzz wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:45 pm Around here marine batteries have a shorter warranty than regular cars batteries do for some reason. Maybe it is because I only get 2-3 years out of a boat battery and about 10 in my autos. I am thinking about going to plain old auto batteries in my boats.
Since most cars are manufactured with charging systems tailored for the needs of the automobile, owners don't have to do much to keep the battery working. Luxury car with all the bells and whistles will have a different charging system than a 3/4-ton truck with towing package. They both may share the same size motor, but their charging systems could be a lot different.

Since outboard motors may come with its own charging system but it's one size fits all, no matter what the needs of the boat owner. Does the boat have one battery, 2 batteries, 3, 4? Same charging system is expected to maintain the one battery boat or the multi-bank boat? Boat owner buys battery charger or multi-chargers, but when does the marine battery need other means of charging than just the outboard? In a multi-battery bank system, are all the batteries charged independently of each other, and stored the same the same way? When batteries are all connected to each other they like to take each other's power, that is why you replace them as a set! Leaving batteries connected to each other is the fastest way to destroy them if they have different resistances from each other. Just cause the batteries are all the same, they may not be physically.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I plan to buy a Sterling battery charger. The Victron orions can pull full loads from the alternators. Like $400 plus shipping from England..

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

My boat has 6 x 12v batteries and 4 x onboard smart chargers - works just fine! 8O
Go figure! :doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am My boat has 6 x 12v batteries and 4 x onboard smart chargers - works just fine! 8O
Go figure! :doh:
What are you using for charging off outboard? How many amps is alternator?

The Victron Orion has no current limit. The Yamaha 90hp has a 33 amp alternator. The Orion can take it all up to the house. The house has a C limit rating of 9 amps, which will go to 18 when the bank goes to 4 veesus the 2 now due to shortages.

Full load from the alternators will probably fry them and they are a grand apiece. And the house batteries will overcharge as well unless I set the shutoff low enough.
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’ve been planning possible electrical systems for folks as a “hobby”. There is an intriguing but not really commercially supported option of putting a separate, voltage specific charger on each battery. This allows mixed voltage systems to charge independently and ensure each battery is charged to exact specification.

It is much simpler when the charging is AC only but I think it should be doable for your DC charging as well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.