Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by Browndog »

Fallguy,

As someone who retired to the coast from the upper Midwest I wanted to pass along a few things I’ve learned.

In the coastal areas of Texas and the Deep South you will be living in a semi tropical area. The winters are like a Minnesota fall. The summers are when you go back to Minnesota, at least for July and August. Spring starts in February. Summer starts in April and ends in October. Fall is glorious!. Best time of the year.

Oh, and the bugs. They are bigger, more numerous and there’s a different one about every other month.

The sand gnats around here are sometimes called Yankee repellent. The giant cock roaches are called Palmetto Bugs to make them seem nicer and less scary.

Don’t get a house without a screen porch and make sure there are ceiling fans in every room and on the porches. Just saying.

But after a few years you get acclimated and need a sweater if it gets below 70 degrees. I get tired of wearing shorts about this time of year and look forward to it actually being cool enough to be able to wear pants. Maybe next week it will be cool enough.

We have a wood burning fireplace, but it rarely gets cold enough to build an inside fire. Yard fires on the other hand are common, frequent and great fun.

If you don’t know already, grits are eaten with butter, salt and pepper for breakfast and as a side dish for fried fish. Cheese is sometimes mixed in, but never sugar. It ain’t Malt-o-meal. ;)

Hurricane season normally starts in June and ends in November. It isn’t the wind that kills you it’s the flooding. There’s a reason things are built up on stilts. When the big one comes, head for higher ground.

Texas is a bit different than the rest of South, so your on your own for everything else.

A friend told me today that it was a great day to be alive. I said, “Yes it is, but the best day to be alive is tomorrow.”

Wishing you many more tomorrows to enjoy the beautiful boat you are building.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

As someone who lives in the cyclone (hurricane) zone in tropical north Queensland, I can relate to Browndog's post - great advice!

Here we talk about the climate being 3 months of hell (summer) and nine months of heaven. I think I have worn a coat for half a day, just once in 35 years.
Our cyclones will knock your house down, but you have to be unlucky to be in the direct path of one when it crosses the coast. Localised flooding can be an issue, but storm surges less so - although the greatest loss of life occurred from a storm surge in the late 1800's. Our house is built to the latest cyclone specs, is above the 500 yr flood level (confirmed a couple of years ago!), and is well insured and paid up! We don't run from cyclones here but rather we hunker down and wait them out! Once it becomes obvious where they are going to cross the coast, If its not close I generally go to bed! :D
Once you have acclimatized its hard to go back to the cold country! I was working further west last week - where the temperature mid-afternoon was 106oF, in the shade! You get used to it - and I would rather be hot than cold.
And don't forget all the stuff that wants to kill you! We don't have bears and mountain lions - but we have disease ridden insects; deadly spiders, snakes, and marine stingers; crocodiles and sharks! :help:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

All I can add is the temp in Houston is 71 deg. with 99% humidity this morning, which is very normal here.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The one good bit is we'll get Gulf winds. That is also the bad bit.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FallGuy, post some good photos of your build, inside and out!! Thank you, Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:03 am All I can add is the temp in Houston is 71 deg. with 99% humidity this morning, which is very normal here.
I was in Houston in June a few years ago. Walked out of air conditioned hotel one morning and my glasses fogged over just like they would do here in the winter. :help: That is the only place I have ever had that happen.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It is about to get cold here and I have to winterize the place. No fishing unless on the hard stuff and I have never liked it much.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Barefoot in my tree stand...
20211026_182954.jpg
Sweating in a long sleeve camo t shirt. Get ready for a life change! And Gulf breezes...not so much in the summer like the Atlantic or Pacific.

But, once you wrap your head around it you'll never go back like the other people who move south.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hit play to see the fight against north and south. (Warm moist air from the Gulf fighting cold dry air from the north) We started getting thunderstorms at 4 this morning, calm for now. Forecast for today is calling for up to 2" of rain.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/maps? ... +TX&zoom=7
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FG1k,

Where are your outboards relative to hull centerline? Just had an “experience” at the marina with motor well mounted outboards that are “inside” the hulls (between cockpit and inner edge of hull). The mounting killed maneuvering and requires a big upgrade to HP. I think yours are transom mounted.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.