Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:59 am Don’t get me wrong, I’m making sure I have “WHO LIT THE SUN AT 2AM!?!?” spreader lights. But for running at night I find that low lighting spread out works better.

That said, you’ll be moving faster than a sailboat so I’m guessing that you’ll run flir to make “seeing in the dark” a different experience than I’m used too.
I want to get Flir, but so damned expensive. Saw the base mode at $2999 this year at defender.

No competition..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yesterday, prudence paid off.

My batteries stopped throwing the remote switches and I realized I cooked one of them... :(

Good thing I only had two $200/ batteries in..

Need to vent the battery box..

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 pm Yesterday, prudence paid off.

My batteries stopped throwing the remote switches and I realized I cooked one of them... :(

what was the cause of the short? batteries are rarely the cause mostly the symptom.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 pm Yesterday, prudence paid off.

what was the cause of the short? batteries are rarely the cause mostly the symptom.
Charging in a hot box; most likely. The tent was 115F somedays and if the batteries added 10 degrees to the box; they likely overheated.

Need to vent the box. Walked by it like 15 times and wondered about too hot...got my answer. Just came in the cold when R gets higher.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

What did you mean by “it stopped throwing remote switches”. I would never expect throwing switches as battery behavior.

i’d check level in the battery and refill. I’m not sure what charger you are using, but I would expect being able to stop charging based on battery temp in a boat of your caliber. Also, given you are going to texas in it, this is a long term problem for you.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Wireless remote temp sensor (outside temp gauges) that you can put inside the battery compartment and see where the temps are. You can also get attic fan control switches that turn a fan on at 90 deg. They are cheap, like less than $7.00 for the switch. I just got 2 from Zoro for my warehouse 30" box fan that will kick on at 90 degs and turn off at 80 degs, no more dust settling all over everything! You can connect one to a 12V bilge exhaust fan that will kick on when the battery compartment temperatures increase to much.

But if the problem was overheating during a charge cycle you may need to investigate the method you are using to charge them.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm What did you mean by “it stopped throwing remote switches”. I would never expect throwing switches as battery behavior.

i’d check level in the battery and refill. I’m not sure what charger you are using, but I would expect being able to stop charging based on battery temp in a boat of your caliber. Also, given you are going to texas in it, this is a long term problem for you.
Yes and no.

I did nothing to stop it before. Box was closed except for a 3" conduit with 2.5" id.

All okay. I got my arse in gear and painted the battery box today, crimped all the uncrimped wires, and made a custom battery tray mold and mold cover.

Tomorrow and Thursday, me and a friend are going to wire the engines and close them for winter. By the end of December, I should have the boat almost fully wired except for hardtop stuff.

As for the battery box, cooler guys dot com sold me some stuff for the other side and I will hook up the charger temp gauge this time!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Battery remote switches getting pre-wired on the bench.
9016748D-744B-4AEC-803F-A27D73F8CCE2.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Nice! Heat shrink connectors?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm What did you mean by “it stopped throwing remote switches”. I would never expect throwing switches as battery behavior.

Remote battery switches are operated by a magnetic coil.

Battery was shot..