Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Going up high removes all the air and then backing off stops from taking resin out of the part. It doesn't add air; the bag is well sealed at that point.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am wondering if I am going up too high. I am getting an awful lot of resin into the breather fabric. Just going on another builder's advice.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I know absolutely zero about vacuum bag building but I am sure going to watch, learn and enjoy. Thank you for doing a build thread :!:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:23 am I am wondering if I am going up too high. I am getting an awful lot of resin into the breather fabric. Just going on another builder's advice.
Having never done it, I don't know what I am talking about....
I would think that as long as you had the right amount of resin still in your cloth, and it is well bonded to the core, then any resin pulled into the breather would make the part lighter while still the same strength?

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

From the bagging ive done 50% always made a little nicer looking laminate,this also depends on the size of the perforated release film that your using.I used P3 its what i could find.The smaller and farther apart the holes the less resin it will allow through.
10-15Hg is still alot of clamping pressure.Its like gluing wood with wood glue you don't want the clamps so tight that all the glue oozes out.
Good luck.

I assume you have a good scale?You should be able to calculate your resin to glass ratio.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am running at 110% resin to glass by weight. I ordered a bigger scale for the big 33' parts.

I have not used perforated release film, but have been contemplating doing it. I am using extra slow hardener on the massive 33' panels.

Will the perforated release film break from the vac pressure changing the shape of it over the part?

Just trying to decide how many pieces of it I'll need and if I can reuse it at all.

Thanks!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I ran the part yesterday at 26 psi. Came out nice.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Perf release film is just plastic with tiny holes in it.Its purpose is to keep resin in it also allows you to separate the breather from the peel ply.Some like to keep the peel ply on during construction to protect them from spills and drips.This way when your ready to paint, your panels will be nice and clean.

I dont see why you couldnt make your own,fold up a sheet as much as you can drill a bunch of small holes in it and lay it between the breather and peelply.A tip i got was to pre spray glue the film to the breather then when needed it was ready to go.

Im not sure what you mean 110% ? your looking for around 45% resin content

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I think he means if cloth is 100% then resin was 110%
Or the resin was 52% of total..... a 48/52 ratio.....

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I'm not an expert but I did do some big panels for my catamaran cabin (biggest was about 8'x12'). Around 15 psi worked very good for me. If you preweigh your resin so you know you have enough, and you are getting lots in the breather, then you may pulling too much resin out.

The only real way to know is a burn test. Slice off one skin of glass from the foam. Sand lightly until you only have glass remaining. Weigh a small sample on a digital scale. Then burn out the resin with a torch. Reweigh the remaining glass (blow off the ash). This will give you an accurate % of glass by weight.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24