Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 am Boat is very unbalanced. I need to get weights off the bow, move engines back if I can 4"..that's life..
Sorry to hear that Dan. Hope you get it balanced. What about side-to-side balance, I know you were concerned about that. And how close to DWL?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:09 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 am Boat is very unbalanced. I need to get weights off the bow, move engines back if I can 4"..that's life..
Sorry to hear that Dan. Hope you get it balanced. What about side-to-side balance, I know you were concerned about that. And how close to DWL?
The front of the boat is like 5" below the waterline. It sucks, but have a lot of remedies in mind. Totally the opposite of what I expected.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:19 am
The front of the boat is like 5" below the waterline. It sucks, but have a lot of remedies in mind. Totally the opposite of what I expected.
The bow is narrower. I'll bet same weight shifted aft to bring the bow to 0 would only have the stern a couple inches low, and evenly distributed an inch or two if that.

Glad you have some ideas already.

Was an awesome picture to wake up to, you in the water with your huge boat :)
How were the engines, controls and systems? All pretty good or got a squack list there as well?

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I believe you’ll get her sorted, Dan.

I can feel the smile in the pic of you at the helm. Damn, that moment has been a long time coming. Congrats!
Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Do not let it bug you Dan. Every new boat needs to go through sea trials and get things sorted out. When I launched SeaWolf the steering was hooked up backwards. Made for some extra fun getting it back on the trailer :help:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

So fuzz had tiller wheel steering. That sounds fun.

Dan,

The big boat I’ve been working on had fuel lines all messed up. Both motors feeding from same tank. Transfer line was looped to itself. The selector switch was in backwards.

Then there were the actual motor problems (still chasing issues years later but more Merc than build issues). One had the steering ram backward. Other was only working one direction. Trim was off.

Don’t get frustrated. You’ve overcome all the big problems so far. This is simple by comparison to other things that went wrong. You’ll find the right solution.

Had to feel good getting her moving on the water. Congratulations on a successful first wetting of the hulls!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

5000rpm, 20 kts

https://youtube.com/shorts/bVDeH7g10BA?feature=share

Maybe 3500rpm, I forget.

https://youtube.com/shorts/udvt35fGLyg?feature=share

Anyone have any idea wth that shower off each wngine is from?

My back has decided to take the day off. :(

Motors are trimmed at minus two degrees. I should have messed with it, but it is the river and just getting used to things.

Dan

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Someone told me I am right depth, but I think I am too deep and that shower off the engines is the result..or is the shower from jackplates?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 pm Someone told me I am right depth, but I think I am too deep and that shower off the engines is the result..or is the shower from jackplates?
I think you are right to much of the lower unit in the water at speed.

Wait, 20mph? I thought it was going to top out at less than that? And that is not even WOT yet!

I agree with Jaysen, you have overcome and forgotten bigger problems with your build than a balance problem.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That spray is war forward of the motor. Has to be jack plate related. Are the plates all the way down? If so I’d pull them up a bit. Almost feels like the hull is narrower than the plate.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.