Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looking really good! Where is the center cap?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:33 am Looking really good! Where is the center cap?
I had a center cap made with teak and it needs some finishing yet.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

That looks great FallGuy!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Red courtesy lighting test.
17453E29-8B84-42FD-8E11-BA50B3A02FC7.jpeg

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

looks good! does the cockpit get a railing around it or is there more structure to build.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks good!

One of the things we found out while fishing down here is the red lights do not attract bugs like white lights do. Fishing friend and I would fish at night a lot and the mosquitoes would get so thick you couldn't even breathe in without sucking in a few. But we switched to red lights and problem went away.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 am looks good! does the cockpit get a railing around it or is there more structure to build.
A railing is on the to do list. I need to draw the boat and order it, but waiting for the weather to get a little colder and continuing to do as much real work outside as possible.

The sides are 18.5" high and the railings will go to 36". This boat is likely heading to the Gulf and it can get rough there.

The red lights are supposed to be easier on the captain's eyes for leaving at 4am.

The light on top will mount to the hardtop. It is a lumitec caprera 2 and a quick click on to toggle is red and jist one click is bright white.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Keep light sources as low vertically as possible. This reduces impact to night vision and confusion about the odd starboard looking glow.

Off possible I’d even go so far as to add zone switching to allow minimal red. I find I can see ok in the dark as long as all light sources are red, covered and below my waist. The minute some turns on a flashlight I go blind for 10min.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:50 am Keep light sources as low vertically as possible. This reduces impact to night vision and confusion about the odd starboard looking glow.

Off possible I’d even go so far as to add zone switching to allow minimal red. I find I can see ok in the dark as long as all light sources are red, covered and below my waist. The minute some turns on a flashlight I go blind for 10min.
For a boat this big, I need something to light up the deck like a vertical downlight. Otherwise the little courtesies are real shadowy. I have like 6-8 in a box which were meant for foot lighting, but this seems better than adding 4 of them. You could even take hooks out of a fish.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Don’t get me wrong, I’m making sure I have “WHO LIT THE SUN AT 2AM!?!?” spreader lights. But for running at night I find that low lighting spread out works better.

That said, you’ll be moving faster than a sailboat so I’m guessing that you’ll run flir to make “seeing in the dark” a different experience than I’m used too.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.