Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:46 pm Some form of sail assist is starting to look a lot better now for some reason :roll: Be a shame to get that thing finished and then have to go rob a bank to fuel it up :cry:
Let's not get headed down that road. Whenever global oil supplies are short, we all take it in the shorts. The idea the US supply is ever enough to keep oil $$ down is bunk. What's worse is tfg asked the Saud family to CUT production before his time was up. And they have not returned it. Biden will ask, but they probably won't.

My boat is designed for fuel economy. And I am only 5 miles from oil rigs, blackfin and grouper, so a few gallons if I make it to Texas gets me offshore and home.

Anyhow, sorry if I got political, but even tfg was trying to help American oil producers be profitable. The challenge is can we all afford it. And big oil is now raking it in.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:46 pm Some form of sail assist is starting to look a lot better now for some reason :roll: Be a shame to get that thing finished and then have to go rob a bank to fuel it up :cry:
Indeed! US$650 - 700 to fill my boat at the moment, nearly double the cost of a year or two ago! US$70/hr to operate!

I wonder if I could rig it for sailing?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

A kite sail might be an option in an emergency. There's a few commercially available ones out there of various sizes and sophistication. Tacking upwind is a possibility.

Or a trolling motor and solar panels.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

128 gallons @$6 is $768

Wife not gonna enjoy seeing that.

Had weird headache last nite and now. Maybe epoxy dirt in my eye. Going to order some goggles or search the shop for some.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My “secret eye junk” for sanding: the tiny swim goggles, a spray bottle on “mist”, and paper towels in a clean space. Spray the face then wipe with clean towel. One use per towel. Don’t take the things off till your done.

Not sure it works if you have heavy corrective lenses though. I’m lucky that I don’t need my glasses for sanding.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 am My “secret eye junk” for sanding: the tiny swim goggles, a spray bottle on “mist”, and paper towels in a clean space. Spray the face then wipe with clean towel. One use per towel. Don’t take the things off till your done.

Not sure it works if you have heavy corrective lenses though. I’m lucky that I don’t need my glasses for sanding.
I can't wear my glasses sanding. I'll try the swims. Eye pain is not good. The epoxy is fresh and I might have got a blister inside the eye socket cuz it hurts when I blink.

Damn dumb-me. Say it fast 3 times. Aspirins helped for now.

The sander filled up right quick as well and I did nothing to empty the bag, but pushed on. So, that might be done a bit better on cabin 2 as well.

I might paint some today. Want to do it so bad.

Tomorrow, we are having a memorial service for Dad and a picnic after.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Try hooking a hose to the sander

I learned to use the light flex hose for cockpit scuppers. Send the hose to a 5gal bucket. Bucket attached to shop vac. Not a cyclonic separator but just a “shock absorber” to reduce the hit on the sander if something clogs the line.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:34 am Try hooking a hose to the sander

I learned to use the light flex hose for cockpit scuppers. Send the hose to a 5gal bucket. Bucket attached to shop vac. Not a cyclonic separator but just a “shock absorber” to reduce the hit on the sander if something clogs the line.
I have a suction connection, but it slows the process down and I was in the hole 5 hours. But maybe if I split the work into two days, slow it down and reduce my exposure; it'd be better anyhow.

So eager to get the shitwork done, I made it shittier.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I’m going to skip fairing inside my cabin for the most part. I’ll spend so little time in there and hull lining fabric is cheap. Water based contact glue to the sides. Worth a thought.

https://www.boat.net.nz/products/wall-l ... 9934035029

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:44 pm I’m going to skip fairing inside my cabin for the most part. I’ll spend so little time in there and hull lining fabric is cheap. Water based contact glue to the sides. Worth a thought.

https://www.boat.net.nz/products/wall-l ... 9934035029
I had lotsa places that would cut upoholstery or fingers if slid on walls. I was going to do zero, but was not an option for safety. My tapes where I used peelply were okay, but the edges were razorlike everywhere else.