Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by jonnymac »

I mean its hard with pictures obviously. I test people all the time on noticing details and I promise you are just about the only person that will notice it. If it bothers you in a year then change it. Otherwise the doors will cover it and you’ll never notice. Hell you might decide after using it for a year you want a different layout and cut it all out anyway.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:02 pm Compared to all the other work you have done I can't see this staying long. Your OCD on perfection must be driving you nuts! Put a TRUMP 2024 sticker on there and see how fast you change it! :lol: :lol:
After J6, Trump can only get 60 million voters. But I enjoy the idea of him getting nominated. Probably gonna be de Santa Claus. I digress.

But you helped me remember why I went with the crud. Simplicity. Waterproof.

Think it'll not melt 16.5" away from the burner top?

Picture tomorrow. Phone died on last picture I took and not going back out there. Snowing and I got a bad icy spot out there to salt.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:59 pm I mean its hard with pictures obviously. I test people all the time on noticing details and I promise you are just about the only person that will notice it. If it bothers you in a year then change it. Otherwise the doors will cover it and you’ll never notice. Hell you might decide after using it for a year you want a different layout and cut it all out anyway.
I am gonna do euro inset doors, but making them wood. I just hate this stuff.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

It is a monumental project that you have taken on. Basically building two boats, and then building a house inside of them. 3 projects in one!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here is a finished joint.

Puke emoji.
1F1D273D-3FDC-46EA-B277-B014D0E3497D.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

The problem is, your other work looks so good that this shows up badly beside it. :D

I agree that it's something that when spotlit doesn't pass muster, it's a new process you're having to learn. I'd be tempted to chuck it aside and go with what I know (wood), but I'd understand if you don't want to let it lick you!

The upside to going forward is that once you get it down, you may want to use your new ability for some other project.

I had a cellphone that needed repair, I figured out what was wrong with it and how to fix it. The problem was that the repair involved micro-soldering . . . even if I had the equipment needed to do it, I don't think my old hands are steady enough for the precision required- the image in the microscope looks big, but the reality under the lens is tiny. Most things I can figure out how to do on my own (how hard can it be?), but on that one I accepted defeat- I bought a new phone. I, for one, will only applaud you for choosing a path that achieves the results you demand. Enjoy your build!!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy pull that shit out of there and go with some good wood with 3-4 coats of marine varnish. That stuff looks awfull. It will bother the heck out of you forever.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

While I might have said it a little differently I agree with the guys in that you will never be happy with what we see now.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

If you chamfer all those edges at a 45, then the joints may not look so offensive, they'll look decorative. "What you can't hide, feature!" Assuming you can also get rid of the bulges, I think Jonnymac had some good advice there.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, had trouble with my back yesterday. Walking was hard.

Temp is minus four Fahrenheit. Gonna probably do electrical drawings today.

Make to do lists and project plan.

I'm gonna leave the stuff. I'm gonna go on a limb here and say Michaelangelo probably had some errors in the Sistine Chapel.