Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, probably the boat should have had a higher displacement.

And, unfortunately, I made the boat hulls each 1.5" narrower, which is 4.5% less displacement.

It would have been better if the hulls were fatter and that is the bottom line.

If I try to reduce weights; the places I can are in the front where she is already light. I can maybe lose 100-150 pounds in the cabin, then I could push that weight to the bows and pickup a lot of moment.

for now, we will see if I can stay below the antifouling..

A skinny boat is highly efficient, but has low displacement; this is a tradeoff.

If I had no put an inverter onboard; 50 pounds less. A foam core, ugly table top, 5 pounds, a foam core ugly countertop, 10 pounds, no solar panels 100 pounds..

To be continued...

Tonight the marina trip.

Thanks to all of you who have provided attaboys, advice, and encouragement along the way. Dan

https://youtu.be/73n6XDont4Q
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

You're going to be very happy soon.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 pm You're going to be very happy soon.
x2.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Heimfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heimfried »

A frictionless transfer of your boat, all the best!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This was a nighttime haul, for 13 miles. We should be getting an update soon.......... :?:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Getting her on the trailer was a big milestone, indeed! You've done an outstanding job, and I admire the energy you put into maintaining momentum on your build to see it through.

8)
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FG, how did the travel to the water go last night?? Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

If it was being put on the water for the first time I am sure Dan is very busy looking, testing, measuring and just seeing what is what. I doubt he got any sleep last night and we all know how stubborn he is about taking it easy.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I liked the utube of the lift. Boat looks fairly low on the trailer so I hope you did not have any problems passing under power lines. Very big day for you, I am sure sleep has eluded you the past 24 hours.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan best wishes that all went well, and you had a nice sleep on her when you got to her new temporary home. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978