Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by Jaysen »

Glad to see I’m not the only one that like to just “be in the boat”.

Looks like you will have excellent space and comfort. Show off the excellent craftsmanship as well. How long till she heads south? And I’d Mrs bringing you along as well? 🤣
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

When we move down south, I will most likely be running the river solo. My wife will be taking the Tesla in August to get Luke in school.

I will be waiting out hurricane season a bit longer. No reason to arrive at the GoM with 130 mph winds in my face!

But a lot depends on where the unstarted, unfinanced, unbid build is at next summer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

hurricanes are real, but you have weeks to prepare and avoid them. I know it seems trite for me to say that, but after you adjust to how they actually behave and work you may find that you are worried way more than you need to be. Get your data from NHC (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov) not the media. learn what the cones really mean. Then you can make educated decisions. You are way more exposed than I am so I won't tell you "cat 3 is the line to run" but once you realize that your cat4 rated house (required by law for new builds) is safer in a catX than any hotel you would be staying in (crime danger not weather) you may find your willingness to avoid them goes way down.

We stick around for Cat3s but with my new health state may change that to Cat2. The locals (real ones, not Yankees pretending to be locals) tend to stick through anything if they are more than 500' from the water (where we are). Locals on the water tend to go stay with a neighbor at Cat2. And by neighbor I mean 2 houses back from their gazillion dollar waterfront homes. Most of them are related so... not really a big deal.

Make sure you have permanent hurricane arrangements too. You'll find that rooms triple or quadruple in price for 200mi inland. Keep fuel tanks at F at all times. In the weeks leading up to an event, do NOT stock up if you are leaving. There are folks that have no choice but to stay and they will need the supplies (the most infuriating things they down down here is tell folks "stock up your storm supplies then leave ASAP". Litterally. So you have runs on stores then the supplies are disposed of later because the folks never use them.).

If I were in your position I would pay for real storm covers on all windows/doors/fixtures, create flood safe parking for vehicles (most likely raised under the house), then run up the coast in the boat. I know you mentioned that being partially a plan in the past. Once you start to see the patterns in the weather you'll be able to predict the path and run the right way. We are lucky here that the question isn't "left or right" as much as "how far out" if a boat wants to run.

I'm sure others have different takes. There's nothing wrong with running from them. I just haven't seen the need yet. Then again I don't mind being without power for a couple weeks. ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen good post I have lived in Charleston and Virginia Beach while in the Navy many years ago and your words are true. I see that SC has made the made the main interstate out of Charleston one way during hurricane warnings for evacuation warnings. Hope no hurricanes head your way this year. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

New too! Although it is nice when everyone leaves a week early and I get the place all to myself and a few locals. We go and unscrew lights so we can see the night for a few weeks. The 7d no power after Mathew were glorious. Helped that the roads were blocked for the first 5d too.

We are back in Beaufort (closer to Savannah). It’s pretty secure in our little hole. Mrs said we’d need to leave for cat2 this year. Good thing there is t a real storm to be seen yet.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:23 am When we move down south, I will most likely be running the river solo. My wife will be taking the Tesla in August to get Luke in school.

I will be waiting out hurricane season a bit longer. No reason to arrive at the GoM with 130 mph winds in my face!

But a lot depends on where the unstarted, unfinanced, unbid build is at next summer.
Do you think you will be comfortable with the wifey having 130MPH blowing her skirt up and you can only comfort her over a cell phone that could stop working due to no power at the cell towers? Towers are not always knocked down, but they lose back up power after a while.
Need to weigh which you will be concerned with more, the storm and feeling helpless about protecting the family or being in it with them... if one comes close.

Living close to the coast all my life I don't know how many named storms came in my area, I would have to have someone show me them all. Some came really close, others not so close but could have. I get more concerned over that little pop up storm Wednesday than a named storm you can walk away from.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

In a hurricane, I will be going with the boat in a direction away, or keeping it on a lift at home.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

How did the inspection go...Wasn't it today?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I got it moved to Tuesday so I have the weekend to finish up some more work.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Working on hatches and fittings and paint.
FD7D0B38-D726-45FB-AD73-D6CBEFB192AE.jpeg
E05546A4-6962-4CAF-9463-B518BC5D68A3.jpeg