SK14 - Sept 2017 - Massachusetts - "Gumbo"

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 - Sept 2017 - Massachusetts - "Gumbo"

Post by Rmarsh »

Cool thanks....I had a 14' John boat that I did the same way..with outboard off to make it easier.

RightCoastin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RightCoastin »

Great build and video! How far up did you decide to mount the grab bar? I am trying to determine the right spot for mine.

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nkathman »

RightCoastin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:22 pm Great build and video! How far up did you decide to mount the grab bar? I am trying to determine the right spot for mine.
I rigged the boat like it would be most of the time with the engine, gas, cooler, battery, etc then slid a 2x4 under it to find the balance point. I mounted the rail just in front of that making sure it was still on the backer boards underneath.

RightCoastin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RightCoastin »

Sound idea. I will put that to use when I get to that point in my build, which is coming sooner by the day! cheers.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Very nice SK14, I've added this to the Build threads page. 8)

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Cool little boat, very nice she looks fast by just laying there 8) 8)

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nkathman »

Here's an update after a dozen or so trips with the SK14. First off is a video I tool yesterday showing the SK14 in some waves and chop so you can see how it handles. It's a stable boat and rides really high in the water, so generally it's really stable and handles stuff but will slap and beat.

https://vimeo.com/236974893

For those asking how I transport it, here are some pics of how I transport it in the back of the truck. I have a cheap bed extender I bought off of Amazon that helps support it and makes loading it a whole lot easier. I drop the extender to the lowest it'll go, lift the transom onto it, then slide it into the bed of the truck and adjust the extender to the proper height. All in all it's pretty easy to do with 1 person assuming you put the engine in at the end. I do think I'll grab a trailer for it soon though to make launching and pulling it quicker and I won't have to remove the engine.
IMG_7023.JPG
IMG_7024 (2).jpg

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Nice! Seems really stable for a little boat and no slouch in the speed category either. Catching fish on your first run in a new boat is good luck too.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

nkathman, great video!! Appears to have handled well in pretty tough water for such a skinny water boat!! Again, really nice SK!!! Jeff

RightCoastin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RightCoastin »

I will be doing the same thing most likely when I get my sk14 finished. It will save on having to deal with keeping the trailer in good order. I am curious if you have to trim your weight on the skiff when you go out solo?