HC14, Sept 2017, Narfi

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14, Sept 2017, Narfi

Post by terrulian »

8)
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Narfi

Very nice work. Love the red finish on your HC14. Now you've got me wondering how the red / white paint scheme would look on the AD16...

Bogie
AD16 build to begin in March

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Was hoping for a sunny day, but we went anyways. Had started to sprinkle when we were headed in but it was a fun first day of the year in the water. I've been told the main lake is open, but we couldn't get to it yet.
20180429_172018.jpg
20180429_172110.jpg
20180429_172046.jpg
20180429_172149.jpg
20180429_172130.jpg
20180429_172228.jpg
20180429_172207.jpg
20180429_172242.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Baseball hat, no gloves, hoodie not pulled up, maybe 40f......................must be an Alaska kid :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

First day out in the year. Wonderful. Seasons really mean something in Alaska! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

And he does not even look cold!!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

350lbs of dad and kid arent enough to feel stable with a terrified 85lb dog. .......
20190616_154611.jpg
20190616_154611.jpg (137.06 KiB) Viewed 13312 times
You can see the expression on his face.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Not so sure that was a happy face on your puppy 8O
Took the wifes dog with us halibut fishing the other day. He got seasick...........talk about a ripe smell :help:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yeah, that face is saying "when I touch ground I am bolting!!"
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Update to say 3 years later the canoe still works great even if it is heavy :)
(this is a cross post from our FS17 thread as we used both boats on our camping trip)

We went camping a couple of nights last weekend but I never got around to posting pictures, here they are.

We headed out Friday around 3. Bought burgers to go at the food truck and launched by 3.30
Headed up the lake about 45 minutes and pulled off just before the sandbar at the head of the lake and put on the old nasty prop.
Then we braved the channel up into the little lake..... made it part way before running aground and I jumped out and walked it a hundred feet or so through the shallowest part then we carefully motored up the rest of the way into the little lake. (Never did hit the prop I had it up pretty high and shut down the instant the boat hit sand) the channel is about 8-10ft wide right against the cliff, but the glaciel silt makes it impossible to differentiate from the huge sandbar it cuts through. During high water earlier in the summer its deeper but it was about 2ft average and 3-6 inches over the sandbar, barely up to my ankles.

Once in the lake it got back to 100ft deep or deeper though with cliffs straight up all around, the pictures font do it justice on just how massive and awsome it looks.

We camped at the mouth of a river/creek below a huge waterfall we hiked upto on Saturday, about an hour hike up the bear trails to get there. Pretty rough going and had to cross the creek a couple times, huge borders make it a bit scarry. Brutus doesn't know how to swim and wouldn't cross.... i had to drag/throw him across while knee deep in the middle of the rapids :p

We took landons canoe and every imaginable luxury. Camp chairs, blow up mattresses two tents, though landon and brutus got cold and crawled in with us the second night. And totes and totes of food and spare clothes for landon..... he goes through clothes at an impossible rate. ("OK you are dry now, these are your pj's, dont get them wet....." turn around 30 seconds later he is chest deep in the lake............)

We motored around the lake enjoying the scenery Saturday night just looking up at all of God's beauty in the cliffs and waterfalls, could even see part of a glacier up between a couple of mountain peaks.

The canoe got lots of use, we sent landon out with it to collect firewood multiple times and the creek we were at was silly, so over to a smaller creek to get drinking water as well. I went up the lake a bit with him on Saturday and we went into some of the little hollows/caves at the base of some of the cliffs, one was big enough we could turn the canoe around in, one had a crevice going back up at an angle further than we could see, landon wanted to explore it but we didn't have a flashlight with us.

All in all a great weekend for both of our bateau boats :)