Beginning stages of a VG 20+ build.

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
keakayaks
New Poster
New Poster

Beginning stages of a VG 20+ build.

Post by keakayaks »

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of building a VG 20 + and my first question is: How do I transfer the nested bulkhead full sized drawings from the plans to the plywood? I have spent hours searching the forum and the How To files and can find nothing. Everything is nested so that it is impossible to cut out any of the shapes without destroying the rest of them.

So far the only thing I can think of is to try and find some large, relatively thin paper and trace the lines onto it and then cut.

Any help will be appreciated!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Beginning stages of a VG 20+ build.

Post by narfi »

I don't have those plans, is it done differently than the other boats here?
The plans I have from this site all measure points from the edge and then you connect the dots with a flexible batan to draw the shapes.
It seems like that is what he is doing here, http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/Chap04.htm

keakayaks
New Poster
New Poster

Post by keakayaks »

There are full sized bulkheads patterns included with the VG 20 plans. To save paper, the bulkhead shapes are nested together. I was hoping to use these full sized patterns and use the measurements to check before cutting. It seems like this way would be much faster than than the connect the dot technique.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Carbon paper or other pressure transfer medium.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Signwriters use a "Pounce Wheel" to perforate lines on a drawing then either chalk or charcoal to rub through. That might do the trick.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The problem with the pounce is that you will have run through after the first line is done. You could use a pounce with two sheets... the template in top, a fresh sheet below, run the pounce then use the bottom to transfer.

I asked about the template once and, I think it was JM who replied, was told that they are just there out of habit and not super useful.

I agree with you though. It seems like it would be easier to get good cuts using the template. I opted for the CNC kit (smaller boat) which kind of made the template ... less useful :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

keakayaks
New Poster
New Poster

Post by keakayaks »

Thanks for the replies. I will try the carbon paper idea for the first bulkhead and see how it matches up with the plans.

keakayaks
New Poster
New Poster

Post by keakayaks »

Can anyone tell me if the V berth in the VG 20 will fit two adults under 6 feet? How about the setee berths?

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I was curious if you'd made any further progress? As far as the V birth size, I'm sure Jaques would design it to be at least 6 feet. The V birth on my AD16 plans are 6' and it's a smaller boat.

Bogie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

From memory, minimum 6' in the vee berth and about 7 for the bunks.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com