Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by narfi »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:31 pm I remember all you were doing to get everything to work. Made my head spin at times reading it!

I would just need the tach to read on the display. the little Suzuki has the low oil press light, temp light and I don't remember the last one, but they are just lights on the motor. I would assume just on/off sensors. Suzuki makes a tach that the lights are in the tach display and I can get it in white! But was hoping to save the $$$.
I didn't have time to watch it, but this video might get you started down the right path,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=542KBgilO-o

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you going through the trouble of finding that info for a Suzuki! I read through, skimmed more like it, and the diagrams and the direction look very straight forward on connecting everything. It will just be very time consuming to read, do and then check to make sure it works. My main goal will be that the VHF and the GPS interface and that looks very straight forward....on paper! :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Launched!!!
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?p=474791

After work I found a SD card (takes a micro not a full size) and put it in the Simrad Go and updated it, fought with the VesselView Link trying to update it but kept failing, gave myself a time limit where I would give up on the update and proceeded forward and hit my deadline so will try to figure it out later.

We took it over and filled the tank with gas, the plumbing isn't great and so couldnt fill at full speed pressure from the pump.... Not sure if I will move the fill cap up to the side of the console for a straight down fill route, or leave it tucked under the gunnel like it is..... will see how frustrated I get filling it :P

Checked fluids then screwed a garden hose into the motor and started it and idled for a minute, so I knew it would run and the starter worked.
As you can see in the launch thread, we were quite happy with it.

The holes I have drilled for drains in the side were well above the water line, so that worked out well. I kept them plugged for the initial launch, but looks like if its just the 3 of us, there is no need to have them plugged even with full fuel.

The LED cupholders were a fail.... 4 of them dont light at all, and the rest all have bad lights.... Shouldnt have gone cheap I guess, anyone know of a quality blue led cupholder?

Biggest project remaining is the windshields, maybe this weekend.
Lots of little stuff, tying up wire bundles etc... One of the cleats is loose, I need to tighten it or replace the screw holding it down, need to investigate.
Need to learn how to operate the display and customize some screens to display what I need.

The trailer is still not finished... I don't weld though, so will be on my buddies time when he can get to that.

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Nice job Narfi. That should give you many years of enjoyment in Alaska. It was fun to hear about your family coming together and finishing her up this summer. Great accomplishment!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Windshields done.
20200801_215119.jpg
20200801_215148.jpg
I started out testing in our sheet metal break. I was able to route a 1/2" radius on a 2x8 and extended the clamping jaws of the break to hold the "radius bar" and the plexiglass. The metal surface worked too much of a heat sink though and couldn't get the plexi up hot enough with the hot air gun. Used a torch to assist it and almost worked but cracked it forcing it too soon, and the touch created bubbles near the bend.

We ended up just letting gravity do the work and it ended up being pretty easy once we got it figured out.
Using the same 2x8 radius board, we laid the plexi on top of it and screwed another 2x4 ontop as a clamp.
Then my wife would patiently heat the bending area with the heat gun till it would droop down from its own weight.
She would then give it a few more passes with heat then i would press against it with a board to insure an even bend around the routed corner and flat face. While I held it, she would give the corner a few more passes of heat then i held on till it cooled. It worked really well.

We used Teflon washers on each side of the plexi when installing. Got one thought of a crack when drilling the holes (i used a unibit very slowly) but i torched it with a lighter and it seemed to heal itself..... time will tell.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Those will be nice in the rain, or even on a cold day. Does it get cold or rain there? 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

looks good!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sweeeeeet!!

very nicely done.

The wife have to do the heat gun cause you wanted to rush it along to much? :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

cape man wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:21 am Those will be nice in the rain, or even on a cold day. Does it get cold or rain there? 8)
not if you ask my son, doesn't matter if we are going out in the boat in an overcast drizzle or to play in the snow in Feb.... he thinks socks and jackets and hats are unnecessary.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am Sweeeeeet!!

very nicely done.

The wife have to do the heat gun cause you wanted to rush it along to much? :lol: :lol:
Sounds like you understand my shortcomings perfectly :)